Question

Error running translation. IFC to CityGML

Badge

I am am trying to convert a IFC-file into a CityGML-file. For inspiration I am relying heavily on the intermediate guide for BIM to gis. Now when I am trying to convert the IFCBeam entities into CityGML BuildingInstallation however the workbench crashes and I get the following error:

Error running translation

I have to the best of my knowledge not changed the writer in any way from the tutorial except for the output-file path and the projection system. Every other geometry I am using seems to convert nicely.

I am unfortunatly not at liberty to share the data file. However I have copied the log into two files:

Log 1 is the log where I have disabled the beam and the workspace will excecute

Log 2 is the log of when IFCBeam is enabled. Which leads to the workbench crashing and I get the "Error running translation"-error

So my questions are as follow:

What does the error mean?

How can I solve it?

Thanks in advance :D

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @hadhafang,

The log files do not provide a lot of information about the problem that caused the workspace to fail. I would really need to experiment with your data file to see what is causing the problem.

However, I did notice that you are running FME 2017. Does the same problem happen if you update to FME 2018?

Badge

Hi @hadhafang,

The log files do not provide a lot of information about the problem that caused the workspace to fail. I would really need to experiment with your data file to see what is causing the problem.

However, I did notice that you are running FME 2017. Does the same problem happen if you update to FME 2018?

Thanks for your answer @DaveAtSafe

Yes the same thing happens in FME 2018.

3. log3ifcbeamenabledfme18.txt

The only difference I can see in log 3 from log 2 is that I use FME2018 instead of 17. The error type is still "Error running translation". What could the error mean?

We have a similar error using the Riverside workflow with our own data, could use a more descriptive error here..

Geometry instance was modified, the geometry definition will be instantiated
Error running translation.
During translation, some features were read that did not match a reader feature type in the workspace. Â This can happen if the reader dataset is changed, or a reader feature type removed or renamed.
Badge +2

We have a similar error using the Riverside workflow with our own data, could use a more descriptive error here..

Geometry instance was modified, the geometry definition will be instantiated
Error running translation.
During translation, some features were read that did not match a reader feature type in the workspace. Â This can happen if the reader dataset is changed, or a reader feature type removed or renamed.

Thanks @prusswan for your feedback. I agree, the error does not very clearly indicate what the issue is. If you are still struggling to solve the problem, would you mind sharing your data, workspace here, so we can help investigate? If you are not comfortable sharing the data in this public forum, feel free to use this form, to submit a case with your data and workspace, and a more detailed discription of the problem. Thank you very much!