Question

Problem with arcs offsetting in DWG

• 7 December 2015
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

I have a DWG file containing cadastre information. The entities are lines, polylines and arcs. I want to convert this file to a SQL Server spatial table. Before doing that, I inspected the file, and without doing any transformation, some arcs are being offset.

Look at the example:

In autocad

In FME Inspector:

As you can see, there is a gap between line and arc edges.

The DWG has no problem in Autocad, but many offsets like that in FME Inspector, without any transformation. The problem only seems to affect arcs.

I am using FME Desktop 2015.1.

Thank you,

Maxime

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

The representation of an Arc can be either a line or a point.

That depends on the definition of the arc: start-middle-end points or start-end points and bulge are shown as line. center point, radius and rotation is shown as point.

That might be the case here.

Userlevel 4

I suspect this is due to a bug in certain versions of the FME Data Inspector. You should open your DWG in e.g. AutoCAD to verify, but I suspect the bug is only present in the Data Inspector and not in your DWG file.

I've seen the exact same behavior with other formats as well, but always in conjunction with arcs.

To be quite frank, arcs seem to be something of a long-standing achilles heel in FME, hopefully it'll get better in 2016. You might want to download the 2016 Beta and see if the problem persists, in which case you should notify Safe support.

Thank you both,

I also suspect a bug in the Inspector, because after transforming the DWG in a File Geodatabase, everything seems to be ok.

I'll try with Beta2016 to see if it is still happening.

Maxime