Solved

Black Multipatch Features

• 18 November 2015
  • 12 replies

Badge +2
HI,

I am copying Multipatch features from one file GDB to another, but when i do this they rendered and solid black features when viewed in ESRI

This

Instead of this

Any thoughts on what is happening?

Thanks

Jacky
icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 5 November 2019, 14:16

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Can you read both before and after datasets into the FME Data Inspector, then look at the attributes and geometry in the feature information window? That might give you a clue as to what is different in the output.

Badge +3

Maybe the normals are inverted? in x,y plane?

Badge +2

Maybe the normals are inverted? in x,y plane?

Thanks for the tip, how do i check the normals?

Badge +2

Can you read both before and after datasets into the FME Data Inspector, then look at the attributes and geometry in the feature information window? That might give you a clue as to what is different in the output.

Thanks Mark,

I have had a good look and cannot see any differences between the features.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks Mark,

I have had a good look and cannot see any differences between the features.

Then I'd suggest sending that into the support team (safe.com/support) including the data and workspace and asking them for assistance. There must be some difference but I'm afraid I don't know off hand what it could be.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks for the tip, how do i check the normals?

Oh, try the GeometryValidator - it might be able to detect bad normals or missing texture coordinates. Not certain it will help, but worth checking it out.

Badge

I'm sorry to say that I don't have an answer to this problem, instead I have the exact same problem. The output between geodatabases (file, personal, and sde) are pitch black multipatches (that stay black even after exporting to other formats like Sketchup). Running the GeometryValidator does not fix the data. Writing to shape-format works, however... Where you able to find a solution for this, or did you figure out what the problem is @jackyd?

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I understand this is an old topic, but for documentation: Adding the AppearanceRemover solved my problem.

Badge

I understand this is an old topic, but for documentation: Adding the AppearanceRemover solved my problem.

That solved my problem with the black multipatches

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

:)

Badge

You provide some interesting knowledge. It helps me alot.Thanks for giving this information.

This works for me