Question

DGN V8 - Place scaled and rotated SharedCells with DGNStyler

Badge

Hi,

I have a Problem placing shared cells in a V8 DGN.

The Cell i'm trying to place has different x- and y-scale and is rotated.

I used the DGNStyler to define the settings.

The result in MicroStation is shown below:

On the left you see the Library Cell and that's how the Cell should look like. It was written with the same Settings in DGNStyler except Cell Mode.

On the right you see the Shared Cell which Scale and Rotation is wrong

So the Library Cell is placed correct, but i have to place Shared Cells

Can anybody help me ?

5 replies

Badge +10

@hansgm

The cell mode in the DGNStyler specifies how a cell will be written. If a value of Library is specified, an igds_cell element is created which is expected to reference a cell definition in the cell library file. Otherwise, if a value of Shared (V8 Only) is specified, then an igds_shared_cell element is created in the destination which does not refer to a cell definition in the cell file definition. (Note that the Shared value for this parameter is only supported by the V8 version of the Design writer.)

Can you confirm that in your FME Workspace the the DGN Writer uses a V8 seed file and not a V7 seed file!

Badge

@srg

Thanks for answering.

I can confirm that i used a V8 Seed DGN, the Screenshot is the resulting DGN of the Workspace shown below.

The shared cell is also be placed wrong, when the Celldefinition is stored in the seed file instead of reading it from the library..

I also attached a template file including the cel and seed file.

placescaledandrotatedcells-1.fmwt

Badge

Hi @hansgm

thank you for attaching a repro. This looks like a bug, unfortunately. I have filed PR #78249 - DGNv8: 3D cell: Wrong scale if written as shared based on your report.

Please submit a support request though https://www.safe.com/support/ if you would like us to keep you updated on the PR progress or have additional details you would like to discuss (e.g. how urgent and important the fix is for you).

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @hansgm

thank you for attaching a repro. This looks like a bug, unfortunately. I have filed PR #78249 - DGNv8: 3D cell: Wrong scale if written as shared based on your report.

Please submit a support request though https://www.safe.com/support/ if you would like us to keep you updated on the PR progress or have additional details you would like to discuss (e.g. how urgent and important the fix is for you).

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this problem.

Good morning!

Is there any update about this issue? So far, I've been using Library cells, but a client has told me if I could use Shared ones instead. I haven't done anything yet, but I guess I will encounter the issue because I'm going to do the same as the original poster.

Thanks!

Badge
Good morning!

Is there any update about this issue? So far, I've been using Library cells, but a client has told me if I could use Shared ones instead. I haven't done anything yet, but I guess I will encounter the issue because I'm going to do the same as the original poster.

Thanks!

Hi @oscard

the PR fix is quite likely to be implemented in 2018.x. It will not get into 2018.0 though, unfortunately.

Will you need to write your cells as shared cells, scaled and rotated? You might want to try - maybe it will work with your cells, the problem might be caused by something special in cell defintions. As a workaround, you might be able to write your cells as shared cells (not scaled and not rotated) with FME and then open the file in MicroStation and scale/rotate the cells with a key-in command - if they all will have the same scale and rotation. Or you could write scaled and rotated library cells with FME and then replace them with shared cells using MicroStation key-in (I am actually not 100% sure this is doable). I hope the PR will be fixed in time for your project though and you won't need to look for workarounds.