Solved

Sample workbenches does not notify on Jobsubmmiter service

• 18 October 2019
  • 7 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

Hello fellows,

I have the samples workbenches in the instance of a FME Server 2018. The earthquakesextrusion.fmw has the following advance configuration:

If i trigger an execution of this workbench with wrong parameters i will get a Failure:

When I check in the topic monitoring I don't see any change, despite the fact i am monitoring the JOBSUMMITER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE:

1. Am I misreading the configuration of the workbench, and the behavior is the one expected?

2. Do I require to make some additional configuration in order to see the topic in the monitoring?

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 22 October 2019, 01:15

View original

7 replies

Badge +2

Hi @xtian79,

The sample workspaces are not registered to post to any Topics by default, if they were you would see the following in Topics to Notify:

Therefore if you would like to use them in Notifications you will first need to register the services against a topic. This is done during the Publishing to FME Server stage.

1. In FME Desktop select File > Download from FME Server.. and download workspace
  2. Re-publish and on the Register Services page select Edit.. for the Job Submitter Service. Expose the 'Notify on Job Completion' Header and next to Post to Topics on Failure select the browse button to choose the JOBSUMMITER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE topic.
  3. Now test topic monitoring again

Alternatively if you do not want to modify the workspace set up you could create a Schedule to run this job - this allows you to set up a Topic to notify from within the Web UI under the Notification header.

Other things to note:

• Topic Monitoring will only work with the Web Browser open so as soon as you click away from that page to Run a Job nothing will be reported back to that page. Instead I'd recommend opening a second browser so you can submit a job and monitor the topic at the same time.
  • If you are still running into issues please review this troubleshooting article.

Badge +5

Hi @xtian79,

The sample workspaces are not registered to post to any Topics by default, if they were you would see the following in Topics to Notify:

Therefore if you would like to use them in Notifications you will first need to register the services against a topic. This is done during the Publishing to FME Server stage.

1. In FME Desktop select File > Download from FME Server.. and download workspace
  2. Re-publish and on the Register Services page select Edit.. for the Job Submitter Service. Expose the 'Notify on Job Completion' Header and next to Post to Topics on Failure select the browse button to choose the JOBSUMMITER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE topic.

Alternatively if you do not want to modify the workspace set up you could create a Schedule to run this job - this allows you to set up a Topic to notify from within the Web UI under the Notification header.

Other things to note:

• Topic Monitoring will only work with the Web Browser open so as soon as you click away from that page to Run a Job nothing will be reported back to that page. Instead I'd recommend opening a second browser so you can submit a job and monitor the topic at the same time.
  • If you are still running into issues please review this troubleshooting article.

Thanks @hollyatsafe for your answer, I did not know about the registration.

but I only have this two pages:

by the way, I am using FME workbench 2018.1

Badge +5

Hi @xtian79,

Other things to note:

Is possible to make the registration using the REST API?

Badge +5

Thanks @hollyatsafe for your answer, I did not know about the registration.

but I only have this two pages:

by the way, I am using FME workbench 2018.1

I got it, my user in the server does not have permissions to do that, with an admin user, the window appear.

Badge +5

Is possible to make the registration using the REST API?

@hollyatsafe I found in the documentation: Registers FME Server services with a repository item. But it does not allows me to perform this task that you described:

"Re-publish and on the Register Services page select Edit.. for the Job Submitter Service. Expose the 'Notify on Job Completion' Header and next to Post to Topics on Failure select the browse button to choose the JOBSUMMITER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE topic."

Badge +2

@hollyatsafe I found in the documentation: Registers FME Server services with a repository item. But it does not allows me to perform this task that you described:

"Re-publish and on the Register Services page select Edit.. for the Job Submitter Service. Expose the 'Notify on Job Completion' Header and next to Post to Topics on Failure select the browse button to choose the JOBSUMMITER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE topic."

Hi @xtian79,

That's interesting that your user doesn't have permissions, I would expect if the user doesn't have permissions to Register to any of the Services they also shouldn't have the capability to run any jobs they publish themselves under those Services. By default all our roles apart from guest have Full Access to the Services so I would recommend checking this with your Administrator as your use of FME Server will be vary limited if you do not have this.

That Rest API call would allow you to register a workspace to a Service but I don't believe it offers the capability to edit those service properties. Second, the Rest API requires your users Authorization so if you don't have permissions to set this up through the Publishing Wizard you would also be forbidden from using that Rest API call anyway.

Badge +5

Hi @xtian79,

That's interesting that your user doesn't have permissions, I would expect if the user doesn't have permissions to Register to any of the Services they also shouldn't have the capability to run any jobs they publish themselves under those Services. By default all our roles apart from guest have Full Access to the Services so I would recommend checking this with your Administrator as your use of FME Server will be vary limited if you do not have this. 

0684Q00000ArNJ6QAN.png

That Rest API call would allow you to register a workspace to a Service but I don't believe it offers the capability to edit those service properties. Second, the Rest API requires your users Authorization so if you don't have permissions to set this up through the Publishing Wizard you would also be forbidden from using that Rest API call anyway. 

Hello @hollyatsafe : I found that with the POST operation

/repositories/<repository>/items/<item>/properties/categories/<category>

using the category

fmejobsubmitter_FMEUSERPROPDATA

i am able to modify this properties:

"FAILURE_TOPICS" :"JOBSUBMITTER_ASYNC_JOB_FAILURE",
  "SUCCESS_TOPICS": "JOBSUBMITTER_ASYNC_JOB_SUCCESS"
}