Question

Process fails due to reader error, despite 'ignore failed readers' being set

Badge +11

I have a workspace that is aimed at accepting either a shapefile or a DWG to define an area of interest which in turn is used to find data. I've linked both readers to optional parameters, blank default sources, and set 'ignore failed readers' to yes, yet when only uploading a shapefile (i.e. not uploading a DWG) I still get a process failure on FME Server with this message about the DWG reader failing:

I can try later with feature readers, but to me this shouldn't fail - any ideas?

17 replies

Badge +8
Hi Chris. Could you please share the log file?

thanks.

Lyes.

Badge +11
Hi Chris. Could you please share the log file?

thanks.

Lyes.

Sure

job-764.zip

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Sure

job-764.zip

Hi @chrisw84, this log file is not the same your screen above.

Thanks,

Danilo
Badge +11

Uploaded the wrong log file in a hurry, here's a more useful one.

job-761.zip

Badge +2

Hi,

Are you able to open the dwg file in AutoCAD environment? If yes, is it possible to provide the same here for review...

Pratap

Badge +11

Hi,

Are you able to open the dwg file in AutoCAD environment? If yes, is it possible to provide the same here for review...

Pratap

I'm not providing a DWG file to the process - the issue is that the reader fails and stops the process when ti has no file, despite the 'ignore failed readers' parameter being set to yes.

Badge +8

Hi @chrisw84 ,

From what I see FME cannot read the file. Cannot read it on FME Desktop? Just wondering is your Desktop and Server versions the same?

Could you please provide us with sample data and also the workspace? Perhaps At least the workspace.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Uploaded the wrong log file in a hurry, here's a more useful one.

job-761.zip

Thanks for your logfile.

did you Run this workspace in the same FME desktop version in FME Server?

Badge +11

@chrisw84 - Is this the only Reader in your workspace? As per documentation for the 'Ignore Failed Readers' parameter, "If all readers in the workspace fail, FME aborts the translation, regardless of this setting."

Edit1: I misread your original posting. You have two Readers and when the Shapefile Reader successfully reads a file, you are correct that the RealDWG Reader (with that parameter set) should not fail out the workspace..

2017-08-11 08:51:26|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|MULTI_READER(MULTI_READER): Adding REALDWG Reader with keyword REALDWG_2 2017-08-11 08:51:26|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|MULTI_READER(MULTI_READER): Adding ESRISHAPE Reader with keyword ESRISHAPE_2

As some others have suggested, does this run without issue in FME Desktop?

Edit2: I have been unable to reproduce this issue with a sample workspace (attached). Can you provide your workspace and example data?

esrishape-acad2none.fmwt

Badge +8

Hi @chrisw84 ,

From what I see FME cannot read the file. Cannot read it on FME Desktop? Just wondering is your Desktop and Server versions the same?

Could you please provide us with sample data and also the workspace? Perhaps At least the workspace.

Thanks.

Hi @chrisw84,I can open your DWG file, however when I try to expose attributes, the same error occurs. Could it be that the dwg file you are reading is corrupted somehow or generated by a third party software which is not AutoCAD? Why not try on another DWG file?

Badge +11
Thanks for your logfile.

did you Run this workspace in the same FME desktop version in FME Server?

Certainly did, I had the problem of developing in the wrong desktop version earlier this year and learned my lesson! Workspace here is developed in 2016 desktop and run on 2016 server. I'm about to post the workspace in answer to Rylan's request, so have a look there.
Badge +11

@chrisw84 - Is this the only Reader in your workspace? As per documentation for the 'Ignore Failed Readers' parameter, "If all readers in the workspace fail, FME aborts the translation, regardless of this setting."

Edit1: I misread your original posting. You have two Readers and when the Shapefile Reader successfully reads a file, you are correct that the RealDWG Reader (with that parameter set) should not fail out the workspace..

2017-08-11 08:51:26|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|MULTI_READER(MULTI_READER): Adding REALDWG Reader with keyword REALDWG_2 2017-08-11 08:51:26|   0.5|  0.0|INFORM|MULTI_READER(MULTI_READER): Adding ESRISHAPE Reader with keyword ESRISHAPE_2

As some others have suggested, does this run without issue in FME Desktop?

Edit2: I have been unable to reproduce this issue with a sample workspace (attached). Can you provide your workspace and example data?

esrishape-acad2none.fmwt

Here's the workspace:

cadastral-to-dwg-using-aoi.fmw

Bear in mind that a) I disabled the DWG reader to try the workspace out using the shapefile reader only.  This presented no reader issues, but only because I only let one attempt reading at all.  Also b) I have added a KML reader at an engineer's request, again, only letting one reader work at a time right now.  Finally c) the feature readers points to a very large dataset that is too large to share, but if you have a dataset with land boundaries, street addresses and road centrelines/street name this will do to test it out.

Sorry, and yes - it runs ok on Desktop beyond the failed DWG read.  I had tested it on desktop first.

Note in your case you are using the basic ACAD reader, whereas I am using the RealDWG reader.  I have not tried the other reader yet, as I use the RealDWG one as standard, but I should give it a try.

Badge +11
Hi @chrisw84,I can open your DWG file, however when I try to expose attributes, the same error occurs. Could it be that the dwg file you are reading is corrupted somehow or generated by a third party software which is not AutoCAD? Why not try on another DWG file?

Hi guys. As I mentioned to Pratap in this case I am not attempting to read a DWG file - it is an optional reader depending on what the user wants to supply - DWG, shapefile or (as added since) KML to run through the process and return data for that area. Presently, when uploading a shapefile the DWG reader returns an error, despite 'ignore failed readers' being set to 'yes'. To me, 'ignore failed readers' should mean that when the DWG reader sees nothing is uploaded it shouldn't matter and the shapefile, or KML (which I haven't tested), should run through just fine.

Badge +8
Hi guys. As I mentioned to Pratap in this case I am not attempting to read a DWG file - it is an optional reader depending on what the user wants to supply - DWG, shapefile or (as added since) KML to run through the process and return data for that area. Presently, when uploading a shapefile the DWG reader returns an error, despite 'ignore failed readers' being set to 'yes'. To me, 'ignore failed readers' should mean that when the DWG reader sees nothing is uploaded it shouldn't matter and the shapefile, or KML (which I haven't tested), should run through just fine.

Hi @chrisw84,

I would use a Generic Reader format rather than separate readers then you could separate the branches based on the format chosen by the user on FME Server/Desktop.

Cheers.

Lyes

Badge +11
Hi @chrisw84,

I would use a Generic Reader format rather than separate readers then you could separate the branches based on the format chosen by the user on FME Server/Desktop.

Cheers.

Lyes

Yes and thanks That one was mentioned by a colleague yesterday, I may give that a try or use a path reader as I have done otherwise. However to me the existing setup should not fail, so I would be keen to know what the issue is.

Badge +11
Hi @chrisw84,

Cheers.

Lyes

Accepting your entire comment here, as the generic reader and then a geometry filter for polygons was the answer. Cheers Lyes!

Badge +8
Hi @chrisw84,

Cheers.

Lyes

Hi @chrisw84,

glad that you managed to manage it ;)