Question

How to gain Z value from text entity to line feature

• 27 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hello everybody!

I just wanna solve problem with Z values (as stand alone entity), which I want to merge with attributes of line feature. My problem is following (please check the picture below):

As You can see, there is text point with Z value, but their def point is totally out of vertex of line feature. What I need is to get line feature with 2 attributes - Z value of start vertex and Z value of end vertex. Is anybody here, who has solution of this situation please?

Thank You so much!

Lubo

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Not precisely sure what you need to do, but you can retrieve the start (or end) coordinate via the CoordinateExtractor. An index of 0 gets you the first coordinate, and -1 will get you the second one. So putting down 2 of these transformers and choosing appropriate names and indexes and running through them in series (one after the other) will result in you having your start and end Z values as attributes on your line features.

Badge +16

the next step can be using the xy coordinates of the start and end to create point features and feeding them to the neighborfinder along with the text nodes.

When set correctly the neighbourfinder will result in a list of all the features within the specified distance tolerance.

So analyzing the list elements and for example retrieving the nearest text node might be what you are searching for.

Good luck !

Badge +1

Not precisely sure what you need to do, but you can retrieve the start (or end) coordinate via the CoordinateExtractor. An index of 0 gets you the first coordinate, and -1 will get you the second one. So putting down 2 of these transformers and choosing appropriate names and indexes and running through them in series (one after the other) will result in you having your start and end Z values as attributes on your line features.

Yes, its great tip! But I have problem with Z values, which are not related to line feature. Line features in my case are 2D and Z values are saved in another feature class. So I need to merge line feature class with text feature class (with Z values), unfortunately there are not any common ID, so maybe I should connect them via some spatial analysis - but how and which analysis I should use please?

Badge +1

the next step can be using the xy coordinates of the start and end to create point features and feeding them to the neighborfinder along with the text nodes.

When set correctly the neighbourfinder will result in a list of all the features within the specified distance tolerance.

So analyzing the list elements and for example retrieving the nearest text node might be what you are searching for.

Good luck !

Nice tip! Anyway, how could I retrieve back line features? Because result of the analysis will be point feature class, not lines... And ideally if lines will be in same shape as before analysis...

Badge +16

then just use the lines and not start and end points in the analysis

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Maybe supply us a small sample and we can give a careful look. I suspect it may take clever use of neighbourfinder (maybe 2 of them) so you can get the z values from the text nodes onto the end points of the line.

Badge +2

Hi,

I have assembled the suggestions and screenshot provided and prepared a workbench. Workbench is attached for reference. Hope this will help you for better understanding.z2line.fmw

Badge +16

Hi @pratap

Have a look at my take of the issue.

Hope this helps.4444-z2line-itay.fmw

Badge +1

Hi,

I have assembled the suggestions and screenshot provided and prepared a workbench. Workbench is attached for reference. Hope this will help you for better understanding.z2line.fmw

Thank You so much, both of You! Now I understand it clearly!