Question

Excel reading challenge

Badge +1

I want to read a specific selection from an Excel spreadsheet that varies the data displayed based upon the values selected in two drop down picklists. (See attached.) My Excel knowledge is not great....any suggestions gratefully received.

5 replies

Badge +3

@paulc1

You want to use fme to read the data that you select by excell-query in Excel ?

You don't need to do that, as you can execute the same query using fme.

Just use a tester to test the selection. Or even add the drop downs as choice parameter, to acquire the selection. (it is almost the same as what you do in Excell)

Badge +1

I'm sorry,not sure I follow...I didn't build the spreadsheet - the data is delivered as an Excel SS...I'm just trying to digest it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I'm sorry,not sure I follow...I didn't build the spreadsheet - the data is delivered as an Excel SS...I'm just trying to digest it.

Hi @paulc1 See https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/29689/getting-started-with-excel-2.html for a quick overview of reading Excel with FME. The Excel drop-downs must be queries of some sort. Read your entire Excel data and then query features (records) with a Tester to get a similar result. See https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/38693/the-flow-of-features-in-fme-translations.html for an introduction to the Tester.

Badge +1

Thanks Dan. Normally, I have little problem with reading Excel workbooks. I think what's complicating things is multiple sheets.

Cheers

Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Thanks Dan. Normally, I have little problem with reading Excel workbooks. I think what's complicating things is multiple sheets.

Cheers

Paul

Is the data in the spreadsheet itself? Without pushing any button? Or is the data collected when the button is pushed? Because if that is the case, you need to reproduce the mechanism behind the button to collect the data in FME.

If the data is in one of the sheets, you can easily select the sheet when reading the excel file.