Question

workspacerunner

• 23 September 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi,

I create a MapInfo to CSV just to get a feel of how to use FME WorkspaceRunner, I tried to imitate the example:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/WorkspaceRunner#toc1 

which was provided in the Documentation however I am quite wondering how it works.

I have 30 mapinfo files (on my target application could be 20k++ files)

so when I run the normal mapinfo to csv 

it goes normally as below: 

however, when I run using the workspace runner, I get 4 times the number of files i had previously. why is this so?

thanks in Advance.

kind regards,

Jubert

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Jubert,

Two comments.

1. One MapInfo (TAB) data usually consists of 4 files. i.e. *.tab, *.dat, *.id, *.map. I think it is the reason that the number of features read by the PATH reader was 4 times of the number of source data. Try setting "*.tab" to the Path Filter parameter of the reader.

2. The source file path will be contained by "path_windows" and "path_unix" attributes of the feature coming from the PATH reader. To pass the file path to the SourceDataset_MAPINFO parameter of the child workspace, you will have to set "path_windows" attribute to the parameter in the WorkspaceRunner.

Hope this helps.

Takashi
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
You can set the Path Filter parameter in the Navigator window.

Badge
Hi Takashi,

Thanks so much for your quick response. That Worked well for me!

1. When changed the Path Filter and it read only 30 files. although I noticed that it also created 30 output files already before the full run was complete. so if I have 20k++ small mapinfo tab files...it would create a massive number of results and am not sure if its caching it before it provides a result.

2.  However, When I changed WorkspaceRunner "source files" to path_windows... it writes the results along after it finishes the workspace process.

It is a bit clearer now, thanks so much Takashi

kind regards,

Jubert