Question

Creating PDF display document from Esri shape files

• 9 December 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a pdf file to visually represent some basic shape files I have. Using the Adobe geospatial PDF writer, everything seems to be fine. Until you zoom in a bit, then you see this:

The red lines are some simple boudary polygons, that aren't normally as spikey and those green "pie charts?" are roads, standard roads. These exact layers display perfectly fine in ArcMap, so I'm very confused as to where these strange geometrical anomalies come from.

At this point I'm not even using any transformers, so it's a basic reader to writer translation. Any tips on what I might need to fix this, or even a suggestion on an alternative output format that's good for display purposes?

Kind Regards,

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

you can try to either use the PDFStyler transformer to set a thinner line width, or to set the line width directly on the writer:

If you need more fine-grained control, also consider the MapinkRasterizer.

David
Badge
Hi David,

The MapnikRasterizer is great, but for this project I need to keep my data in a vector based format. The PDFStyler also seems to have all the right settings I need, however, nothing I tweak changes these strange "pie chart" shapes my regular line based road edges get.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Badge +3
Robbie,

It looks like, as David also points out, that the lineedges are very small compared to the Line Width settings.

Also map size might result in this, width becomes large compared to scale.

U can set outputsize and or content (world viewport )

A good way to control this would be to create a attribute wich holds the length of the edges and set the line width to some relative value based on this length (or scale and or "world viewport" content box).

U can create all the PDF writer attributes using a attribute creator, so you don't need to use the parameters, the attributes override them if set.

See for correct attributenames the pdf writer:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_ReadersWriters/Default.htm#pdf2d/PDF2D_writer.htm

Badge
Thanks, it was indeed the line width.

Regards,