Question

How to make a KML folder description?

• 13 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

how can i give folders in kml a description with FME? I was only able to give a description to the document and the placemarks.

In the screenshot, Number 1 is generated with ArcGis, Number 2 by FME with the missing folder description. Thanks for all help in advance!

5 replies

Badge +22

In the screenshot, neither example has a folder description. The arcgis example has a hyperlink in the kml name.

In order to have anything other than a basic folder you need to create them explicitly rather than implicitly

Each folder should be a feature with the following attributes

kml_id (must be unique)

kml_name (in your example this should be <a href='www.some.link'>Folder Name</a>)

kml_snippet

the kml_name and snippet can be set with the KMLPropertySetter transformer (Name and Summary in the Navigation Tree), the kml_id can be created with an AttributeCreator/Manager

Each feature should have an attribute called kml_parent, who's value is the kml_id of the corresponding folder.

Badge +4

In the screenshot, neither example has a folder description.  The arcgis example has a hyperlink in the kml name.

In order to have anything other than a basic folder you need to create them explicitly rather than implicitly

Each folder should be a feature with the following attributes

kml_id  (must be unique)

kml_name (in your example this should be <a href='www.some.link'>Folder Name</a>)

kml_snippet 

the kml_name and snippet can be set with the KMLPropertySetter transformer (Name and Summary in the Navigation Tree), the kml_id can be created with an AttributeCreator/Manager

Each feature should have an attribute called kml_parent, who's value is the kml_id of the corresponding folder.

0684Q00000ArLZyQAN.png

Thank you for your help! Ok i thought this is a description because the code in the ArcGis kml is:

<Folder id="FeatureLayer0">
<name>Abfallwirtschaftliche_Anlagen</name>
<Snippet maxLines="0"></Snippet>
<description>Standorte der abfallwirtschaftlichen Anlagen.
http://www.abfall.at</description>
and when you click it, a balloon opens with the description.

I made a small workspace(test.fmw) where i created the kml_name and snippet with the PropertySetter. In a AttributeManager i created a kml_id=1 and a kml_parent=1. But the generated kml looks like in workspace-output.png. The Folder is not clickable and if i click the feature nothing happens. I am doing something wrong.
Badge +16
Thank you for your help! Ok i thought this is a description because the code in the ArcGis kml is:

I made a small workspace(test.fmw) where i created the kml_name and snippet with the PropertySetter. In a AttributeManager i created a kml_id=1 and a kml_parent=1. But the generated kml looks like in workspace-output.png. The Folder is not clickable and if i click the feature nothing happens. I am doing something wrong.
Hi @clemensb is this what you what to achieve? 

5208-test-href.fmw

Badge +4
Hi @clemensb is this what you what to achieve?

5208-test-href.fmw

abfallwirtschaftliche-anlagen.kml Hi. No i added the kml from ArcGIS to make it clear.

Badge +22

@clemensb   in your sample workspace you created the parent folder implicitly, ie you have a feature that references a parent that doesn't exist, so FME created it on the fly.

To have descriptions and snippets and links therein you need to explicitly create the parent folder as it's own feature, separate from the placemark features.