Solved

Fill walls of Mesh

• 24 September 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi all,

Does anyone have a tip on how to fill the walls of a 3D object? The idea is to create a mesh from a DEM using SurfaceModeller and then extend the object to 0 elevation or to the lowest point of the input DEM so that it looks it was all cut from the Earth surface by a sharp cookie cutter.

The closest I got was to input the BB of the raster as Breakline input into the SurfaceModeller but it won't result into straight lines as the SurfaceModeller seems to cut off a little from the edges of the DEM.

Thanks!

Jan

icon

Best answer by geosander 26 September 2018, 15:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Have you tried the Extruder transformer? That might do what you need.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hopefully the BRepSolidBoundaryCreator.Beta transformer from FME Hub might help you.

Badge +7

Hi @janrykr,

I don't have a clue if you already figured something out, but I had some spare time and constructed this demo FME workspace (2018.1) for you. It assumes Z is up. Have a look at it and tell me if it does the trick.

You will have to replace the purple bookmark (mock terrain generator) with your real terrain source feature, but everything after the TINGenerator/SurfaceModeller should remain the same. Optionally, you can change the values in the transformers (with the green annotations) if you desire a different base height (I've assumed 0, since this was also mentioned in your question).

Sander

Badge +3

use the borders of the surface and the boundaries of the 2d projection to create faces. Stich em up.

Btw to create vertical faces you must like rotate the relevant borders slightly, creat effaces and then rotate back after creation.

Badge +7

Hopefully the BRepSolidBoundaryCreator.Beta transformer from FME Hub might help you.

Nice transformer @takashi! I have to say that the name is a bit technical for people who just want to extend the sides of a terrain to a certain base plane... although I can't think of an appropriate name.

Why the .Beta suffix actually? Needs more testing still?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Nice transformer @takashi! I have to say that the name is a bit technical for people who just want to extend the sides of a terrain to a certain base plane... although I can't think of an appropriate name.

Why the .Beta suffix actually? Needs more testing still?

I hope that Safe adds a regular transformer in order to perform the same processing more efficiently. If it would be realized, this transformer could be retired. It's the reason why I added the .Beta suffix.

Badge +7
I hope that Safe adds a regular transformer in order to perform the same processing more efficiently. If it would be realized, this transformer could be retired. It's the reason why I added the .Beta suffix.

Right. Thanks for the clarification!