Question

FME Server 2020: Unable to run workspaces manually

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

Hello all,

Last week we have upgraded FME Server from version 2018.something to version 2020.0.2.

Initially everything seemed to be running smooth: scheduled jobs are run on schedule, and can be run manually as needed.

But today I ran into a problem: it proved impossible to run a workspace manually from 'Run Workspace'. All I got was an error message: 'There was an error submitting the job.'.

Delving into the logging, at last I found something in log file <server_name>_jobsubmitterservice.log: (located in Resources > Logs > service >current): the job was submitted as user guest, and this user was disabled.

After enabling the user, I tried to rerun the workspace. THis gave me the same error message, but the log file provided new information: user guest lacked proper permissions.

So I turned to the FME Server Documentation, where I learned that a user needs to have 'Run permission on the applicable repository'. As users (can) get their permissions from their user roles, I gave role 'fmeguest' the permission to Read and Run workspaces from this Repository (by setting Summary to 'Can Run').

After all this, I was finally able to manually run my workspace,

However, all this appears to be overly cumbersome.

Why is the workspace run as user 'guest'? I am logged in as another user, why not run the workspace as this user? Have we overlooked a setting somewhere?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Sounds like a weird one. FME shouldn't be submitting this as 'guest' if you're logged in.

Presumably a bug...

Either that, or the permission on that repository had a weird configuration back in FME 2018 (or earlier) and got copied into FME 2020. Possibly role related?

Either way -strange. I would ask support if it happens again. Perhaps you could send them an FME Server project of it and they might be able to reproduce.

We've just upgraded ourselves and I'll be sure to post here if we see the same behaviour.

Badge +9

Hi @geomancer, I agree with @virtualcitymatt. Running a job from the 'Run Workspace' page should always run it as the user you are logged in with and not the guest account. Normally, that 'There was an error submitting the job' message appears if there's an issue with the Service URLs on an FME Server installation (configured under System Configuration > Network & Email > Services). In those cases, the job is never actually submitted, so nothing makes it to the jobsubmitter log file.

The behaviour you are seeing isn't something I've seen before, so I think this would definitely be a good one to bring to the FME support team to investigate further. You can submit a case to: https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ or to your local reseller if you purchased through one of our partners.

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

Hello @virtualcitymatt and @lauraatsafe,

Thank you for your response.

I am going to contact my local reseller first.

We'll share our findings here.