Question

How to create fillet between 2 polylines

• 24 November 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge

hi,

I'd like to create a fillet (like the autocad command) between 2 polylines ? is-it possible?

desired is the red arcs.

thanks

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @miladahmad,

Has a similar question resolved here Lines to Arcs.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @miladahmad,

Has a similar question resolved here Lines to Arcs.

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_inovacao, thanks for finding that.

It's an old thread, and I removed all the shared workspaces from my Google Drive at some point in the last year...

Now I've restored that with FME 2017. Hope this helps.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines.fmw (FME 2017.0.1.1)

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @danilo_inovacao, thanks for finding that.

It's an old thread, and I removed all the shared workspaces from my Google Drive at some point in the last year...

Now I've restored that with FME 2017. Hope this helps.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines.fmw (FME 2017.0.1.1)

Great @takashi,

I believe your Workspace is perfect to solve his problem :)

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

thank you (@danilo_inovacao and @takashi). I already saw the question but the workspace was not available. I will try it but I’m afraid that workspace will do the fillet at all corner of polylines. What I want is doing that only for the intersection of 2 polylines (example: I will used to create the intersection of roads). I will test it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

thank you (@danilo_inovacao and @takashi). I already saw the question but the workspace was not available. I will try it but I’m afraid that workspace will do the fillet at all corner of polylines. What I want is doing that only for the intersection of 2 polylines (example: I will used to create the intersection of roads). I will test it.

Hi @miladahmad, I think you can apply the fundamental logic in my Python script to create an arc between two adjacent lines. The point would be how to specify the lines around an intersection of roads. Are there some conditions that you can use to specify them?

Badge

The workspace do it between all vertics of polyline. I will try to explain what I'm trying to create with the image (is better than my english :) ). PS. I have the roads center lines and the polygons (or I can also do offset to the centerline)

And the desired area or arc at the corner

thanks

Badge
Hi @miladahmad, I think you can apply the fundamental logic in my Python script to create an arc between two adjacent lines. The point would be how to specify the lines around an intersection of roads. Are there some conditions that you can use to specify them?

do we neeed to specify lines around intersection if i want to do fillet at all intersection between 2 lines?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The workspace do it between all vertics of polyline. I will try to explain what I'm trying to create with the image (is better than my english :) ). PS. I have the roads center lines and the polygons (or I can also do offset to the centerline)

And the desired area or arc at the corner

thanks

The result from this workspace might be closer to your requirement.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines-2.fmw (FME 2017.0.1.1)

Badge

thanks @takashi : It is great but it works only if I have 2 intersected lines (2 and 3 or 1 and 3). If roads which I have is segmented at the intersection (I have 3 lines), then I got error from python caller (Error encountered while calling method `input' f_75(PythonFactory): PythonFactory failed to process feature). I think a problem with list Index.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

thanks @takashi : It is great but it works only if I have 2 intersected lines (2 and 3 or 1 and 3). If roads which I have is segmented at the intersection (I have 3 lines), then I got error from python caller (Error encountered while calling method `input' f_75(PythonFactory): PythonFactory failed to process feature). I think a problem with list Index.

The Python script should work if the input feature has a polyline consisting of enough long two segments. I can only provide how to create an arc between adjacent two line segments.

As I mentioned before, it would be the point of this subject how you can extract a proper line consisting of two segments around an intersection. However, it's hard to provide an ideal way to do that, since it could be different depending on the actual data conditions.

If you could share the actual source data (road center lines?) here, a good idea might be provided.

Badge
The Python script should work if the input feature has a polyline consisting of enough long two segments. I can only provide how to create an arc between adjacent two line segments.

As I mentioned before, it would be the point of this subject how you can extract a proper line consisting of two segments around an intersection. However, it's hard to provide an ideal way to do that, since it could be different depending on the actual data conditions.

If you could share the actual source data (road center lines?) here, a good idea might be provided.

road-intersection.zip

this is a small example of data. There is a roads intersection between 2 polylines, 3 polylines and 4 polylines.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I just added two transformers - CoordinateCounter and Tester to the previous workspace example in order to avoid the error in the case where two road center lines on the almost same straight line are connected at an intersection. See the attachment.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines-3.fmwt (FME 2017.0.1.1)

Badge
I just added two transformers - CoordinateCounter and Tester to the previous workspace example in order to avoid the error in the case where two road center lines on the almost same straight line are connected at an intersection. See the attachment.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines-3.fmwt (FME 2017.0.1.1)

it is really great. thanks a lot for your time and your help (I do not know if it is difficult to adjust it to have one more arc as the image)

have a nice week-end and thanks again (i did not find where I can accept the workspace as answer)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think this workspace example contains some tips, which would help you to find a proper solution.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines-4.fmwt (FME 2017.0.1.1)

Badge
I think this workspace example contains some tips, which would help you to find a proper solution.

create-arc-between-adjoining-lines-4.fmwt (FME 2017.0.1.1)

100% useful and what I want.

Thanks a lot and best regards.