Question

DBF Reader not able to read memo files (fpt)?

• 18 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I have some DBF files that need to be converted to something else (MSSQL tables), but have a problem reading these in FME. The dbf files have associated "FPT" files which are memo files.

When reading the DBF files in FME, an error arises "DBF Reader: Failed to read memo file record at block number %0. DBF Writer: Error with memo file. Unable to input data from file 'Y:\\Data Transfer\\WATERCOURSES.DBF'. Error in the DBF Reader. Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader.""DBF Reader: Failed to open memo file 'Y:\\Data Transfer\\WATERCOURCES.fpt' for reading"

I have then tried to remove the "fpt" file and doing so allows FME to read the DBF. However, there might be some important data in these "fpt" files that we do not want to lose.

My question is what is the problem with the "fpt" files and how can it be sorted out in order to get the dbf files read in FME without removing the fpt files?

Many thanks.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @miquelrs,

Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue with reading the fpt memo files. This issue is currently in development (FMEENGINE-8128) and I'll let you know as soon the issue has been addressed. Thanks for letting us know!

Badge +1

Hi @miquelrs,

Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue with reading the fpt memo files. This issue is currently in development (FMEENGINE-8128) and I'll let you know as soon the issue has been addressed. Thanks for letting us know!

Thanks, I'll wait for your answer

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @miquelrs,

I'm pleased to inform you that a recent update to FME has added the ability to read fpt memo files in FME 2019.0 builds 19216 and higher! You can download the latest beta version here and look for the dBase (DBF) (Tech Preview) reader.

Badge +1

Hi @miquelrs,

I'm pleased to inform you that a recent update to FME has added the ability to read fpt memo files in FME 2019.0 builds 19216 and higher! You can download the latest beta version here and look for the dBase (DBF) (Tech Preview) reader.

Thanks @JovitaAtSafe, we're really looking forward to upgrade to 2019 when the stable version comes along.

Badge +1

Hi @miquelrs,

Thanks, just upgraded to 2019 and dBase (DBF) (Tech Preview) reader works brilliant.