Question

Writing Geometries with GeoPackage Writer is not possible.

I'm trying to write a GeoPackage-Layer from a Shape file with linear Features. It' s not possible for me to define the Geometry parameter (it is grayed out), nor the geometries are transferred to the layer.

I'm using FME 2016.1 on a Windows 10, 64 Bit-Computer. Any Help are appreciated.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

It seems to work for me see template attached below:

esrishape2geopackage.fmwt

It is normal tht the Geometry parameter be grayed out as it the Geopackage writer will/should do the right thing.

Please give my example a try and report back. Hope this helps.

Same problem here, using FME 2016.1, on a Windows 7, 64 bit.

I have a shapefile with points and my workflow is the same of daleatsafe's template.

Same problem here as well. I noticed that when trying to check the resulting geopackage with FME data inspector, it does show the geometry, but with other programs (e.g. QGIS) the geometry can not be found.

edit: And I am using FME 2016.1 64-bit and Windows 7

edit2: when checking the resulting files (both my own and the one made with Dale's workspace) with ogrinfo they don't seem to hold any geometry. But checking them with FME they do draw features. So basically FME is making Geopackages which are only readable with FME.

Badge

Works for me. I use FME 2016.1 (build 16494) on a Mac. Geometry is greyed out but I can write line and polygon shapefiles to gpkg, both by using dynamic writer, and by selecting to copy attributes from the reader. No problem reading them with QGIS 2.12 (Mac) and ArcGIS 10.3 and 10.4. Only thing that irritates me is that ArcMap has to figure out the extent when you add the layer. Something for ESRI to improve. QGIS just displays the layer without any comments.

One funny thing though is that the log reports writing to unknown geometry:

"INFORM|GEOPACKAGE writer: Creating layer 'ml_get' with geometry type 'wkb_unknown'"

/mats

Dear all,

thank you very much for your answers. A special thank to you, Dale.

I'm in the same situation like topi: the gpk resulting Geopackage Writer does in fact contain geometries. But they are not readable by QGIS 2.14.2 (Essen): see figure the layer named "aa_3"

Transforms with ogr2ogr write Geopackage Files, which can be read by QGIS (see figure "aa_2"). Are there perhaps "Meta-Tables" that are required?

I'm using FME(R) 2016.1.0.0 (20160419 - Build 16492 - WIN32) on Windows 10 Pro (64bit).