Solved

FME Cloud receiving email when paused

• 2 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Looking for some confirmation here:

If I have set up a publication in FME Cloud to use the built-in SMTP email and send an email to it while it's paused it never gets delivered and thus the associated workspace never gets triggered, correct?

icon

Best answer by stewartatsafe 2 October 2017, 20:02

View original

3 replies

Badge +5

That is correct yes. The email server is running on the same FME Cloud instance so when the instance is paused it isn't running. To make this work you'd have to use an external SMTP service such as Gmail and then connect to that inbox when the instance comes online.

Badge +11

My expectation would be... "No, never gets triggered." However, some mail servers do have retries for non-deliverables and will send a notification (i.e. bounce-back) to you each time. I would say it's within the realm of possibility that an email to FME Cloud may bounce-back when it's paused, but then on this 're-submit' could pass through when the FME Cloud instance is up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

That is correct yes. The email server is running on the same FME Cloud instance so when the instance is paused it isn't running. To make this work you'd have to use an external SMTP service such as Gmail and then connect to that inbox when the instance comes online.

Thanks for confirming that, will have to rethink an idea :) (or invest in a 24/7 FME Cloud)