Question

How to convert MapInfo .TAB files into FME to create a Web Map Service?

• 13 September 2013
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem for my company.  We have built our own land base datasets for the state of Pennsylvania. We are trying to figure out how to create this data as a basemap to be used on Google Maps map control.

Is this possible?  If so, is the FME Desktop enough, or is FME server required? Right now, we only have FME Desktop.

Further, how would you go about starting this type of project?

Any help is appreciated to get started. I did not have much luck with searching the forums thus far.

Thanks,

Nick

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

If you are looking into creating WMS/WFS services than FME server is necessary, hoever with FME desktop you can write to google fusion tables (maps) and KML (earth) to display and make data available.

Itay 

Itay,

Can I write MapInfo .TAB files into Google Fusion tables?  I am a bit confused on where I can start or what there is an example (video possibly?) that I can follow.

I currently do not have the FME Server product; however, if this seems like it could work out, I will download and run the 60-day trial to confirm.

Any pointers in the right direction would be great! Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Bassically if you have FME 2012+ (or is it 2011??) and a google account you can start creating your own fusion tables.

Try to generate a ws (tab2gft), see for more info

http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/Google-Fusion-Tables

Itay
Userlevel 4
Hi,

depending on your use, I would also consider using a dedicated WMS/WFS-server. It might be a bit more work to setup, but it will probably give you a lot more flexibility and make more sense in the long run.

Two very good Open Source options are: There of course others, including commercial ones, but these two are both very solid with an extensive user and support base.

You can easily use FME Desktop to prepare data for both these systems.

David