Solved

ESRI shape file FME writer issue in Arc

• 14 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am writing arc element in ESRI shape file (Polygon type) from ESRI ArcSDE . But the writer stroke the arc and rendering as line string. I am using FME 2015.1.2.1 and even tried in FME 2017 also. Kindly let me know how to resolve it?

Same thing I tried to write in Microstation DGN writer, it is converted as Arc as expected.

Thanks

K.Jayakumar

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 15 January 2018, 15:05

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Unfortunately shapefiles don't support arcs so FME strokes them automatically upon writing. If you want to control the stroking yourself you can use an ArcStroker.

Stuff like this (which geometry types are supported by a certain format) can be found in the Quick Facts section of the Reader or Writer's documentation: ESRI Shapefile Quick Facts

Badge +1

Hi,

Even it is stroking in Geodatabase format but it was mentioned in the link GDB format support that Arc is supporting.I tried 2015 and 2017 version also.

Please note that I don't want to stroke the arc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi,

Even it is stroking in Geodatabase format but it was mentioned in the link GDB format support that Arc is supporting.I tried 2015 and 2017 version also.

Can you check the GDB using the FME Data Inspector? Just to be on the safe side.

Can you share your workspace (and perhaps some of your data too)? It would help us try to narrow this down. GDB indeed supports arcs so there must be something else going on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi,

It looks like the left shape (GDB) is slightly different from the right shape (SDE). Have you reprojected the arc? Or am I under a misapprehension?

Badge +1

Hi

It is not reprojected, it is identical.

Badge +1

Hi,

outputgdb.zip

As I said I am reading the geometry from ArcSDE which I am not able to share, but I am attaching the output GDB . You can test with using ArcSDE connection having Arc geometry.

I did another test I exported the same geometry to GDB in ArcMap ,actual arc is exported without stroking. It seems there is a issue in FME ArcSDE reader

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi,

outputgdb.zip

As I said I am reading the geometry from ArcSDE which I am not able to share, but I am attaching the output GDB . You can test with using ArcSDE connection having Arc geometry.

I did another test I exported the same geometry to GDB in ArcMap ,actual arc is exported without stroking. It seems there is a issue in FME ArcSDE reader

Which reader are you using - Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) Reader or Esri Legacy ArcSDE Reader? According to the documentation, the Legacy ArcSDE doesn't support arc geometry.

Badge +1
Which reader are you using - Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) Reader or Esri Legacy ArcSDE Reader? According to the documentation, the Legacy ArcSDE doesn't support arc geometry.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I am using ESRI Legacy ArcSDE reader. Now I understand Arc will not support by the ArcSDE reader.