Question

Point FME to certain ArcGIS license server

• 17 August 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge +8
Hi!

I have perused the questions pertaining to ArcGIS licensing here on these premises. However, I am unable to find a way to point FME to use a certain ArcGIS license server. The licensing solutions only talk about setting the ArcGIS license level, not the server.

It seems as if FME Desktop can only use the ArcGIS license currently available for an ArcGIS installation on the local machine.

Is it not possible to run FME standalone, and point it to a valid ArcGIS license server for ESRI-specific formats?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

You can use the ArcGIS Administrator utility to specify the ESRI license server. The utility is installed with ArcGIS Desktop and is not part of FME.

David
Badge +8
Hi David!

I am well aware how to set licensing in ArcGIS. The question was how to do it in FME, on a machine that has access to an ArcGIS license server but without ArcGIS Desktop. Or, if you have both single use and pooled licenses with different levels, tell FME to use another license than the current ArcGIS desktop uses. I hope I have made myself clear.
Userlevel 4
Hej Mats

Hopefully this article can be of help:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/Error_Unexpected_Behavior/FME-cannot-read-or-write-to-Esri-Geodatabase-license-error-messages

If I'm not mistaken, FME does not itself contact the ESRI license server. FME will connect to the local ArcGIS API libraries (e.g. ArcGIS Desktop or Engine libraries), requesting a certain license. It is then up to the ArcGIS libraries to find the ESRI license server and checkout the license for FME. You might therefore have to consult the ArcGIS support pages to see how to tell the API libraries where the license server is.

David