Question

expose custom Revit attribute in IFC

• 27 September 2017
  • 6 replies

hello all,

i have created some customer parameters in Revit and would like to expose them in FME as attribute

i have tried to use the Revit read as it does expose more attributes then the IFC reader, but it still only shows the default Revit parameters, i am sure AttrivuteExposer or GeometryPropertyExtractor would do the trick, but i am really strugging to expose the data.

any help with this would be great

cheers,

James

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @fungry21,

The Revit reader will extract all the properties into feature attributes, but at present it can only expose a fixed set of attributes, so we limited it to the most common. Those attribute are still on the features, however, and just need to be exposed with the AttributeExposer to be used in Workbench.

If you add an Inspector to the workspace and connect the Revit feature types to it, then run the workspace, you will see all the attributes on each feature in the Feature Information window of the Data Inspector. You can click on each attribute name, then copy and paste it into the AttributeExposer.

A more more complex, but faster method is to send each feature type to an Aggregator, with Mode set to Attributes Only and Accumulation Mode set to Merge Incoming Attributes. Next, use an AttributeExploder to create a separate feature for each attribute, with the attribute name stored in _att_name. Finally, write to a CSV file, With only an _att_name column.

This will give you a text file that lists all the attribute names, which can be imported into the AttributeExposer, using the Import Button. If you have a large number of unexposed attributes, this is much faster than cutting and pasting from Data Inspector.

This process is a good candidate for an FME Hub custom transformer, and I will try to get one up in the next few days.

Badge

Dave, Can I ask, are there some attributes that FME simply wont read? Im having major problems reading Identity Data.Keynote but only in some IFC Classes.

IFCPlate for instance. It has the above parameter, but the attribute doesnt come through and cant be exposed. Its causing major problems.

Badge

Hi Dave.

A bit late to the party on this one, but Im having major problems reading some IFCclasses. The attributes exist in IFC, but not in the inspector. Ive attached an explanation document that helps define the problem with a test IFC. Can you help??

fmeifcissue.

pdftest.zip

Badge
@DaveAtSafe

Hi, sorry to add myself to conversation but I think my issue is the same... Attribute values from Revit files are missing

Funny enough they seem to be in the same classification group in the Revit element properties (ie.: Identity data). My attributes are "Assembly Code" and "Assembly Code Description" which are pretty much essential in BIM for cost estimating. How can I validate which attributes were considered "the most common" ones, which to my opinion, should have include these 2. Can I still expose them? If I export a RVZ from Revit I would see it but the problem is that it takes 30-45 minutes per Revit file to convert them to RVZ and I need over 200 of them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@DaveAtSafe

Hi, sorry to add myself to conversation but I think my issue is the same... Attribute values from Revit files are missing

Funny enough they seem to be in the same classification group in the Revit element properties (ie.: Identity data). My attributes are "Assembly Code" and "Assembly Code Description" which are pretty much essential in BIM for cost estimating. How can I validate which attributes were considered "the most common" ones, which to my opinion, should have include these 2. Can I still expose them? If I export a RVZ from Revit I would see it but the problem is that it takes 30-45 minutes per Revit file to convert them to RVZ and I need over 200 of them.

Hi @sdubois. As this is an older question, I would suggest asking your question by making a new question. Then it will likely receive more views. Thank you!

Badge
@DaveAtSafe

Hi @NatalieAtSafe. I did... here

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/64136/what-happens-to-assembly-code-and-assembly-code-de.html

Thank you...