Question

Pictures/Video + Point Cloud

• 23 August 2017
  • 2 replies

Can anybody tell me how to do the following?I am trying to shoot video or take LOTS of pics and stitch together with my LiDAR point cloud....this way it is like Google Streetview but with cm measurable quality

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @croccld. Welcome to the FME Knowledge Center! Sharing a few more details will help the FME community help you. Please reply to this thread and provide additional details including:

• The version of FME you are using, including build number and edition
  • A small sample of your data, or screenshots of the data in the FME Data Inspector
  • A description of your expected output, with screenshots if possible
  • Your FME workspace
  • Your FME translation log file
  • Any other information that may be useful to share
Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @croccld,

I am currently experimenting with making videos with FME using rasters (here is an example where I made smooth transitions between frames - https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/safe-scenarios/Planet/video/smoothtransition.mp4), and in general, I work a lot with point clouds, so I am really curious about your scenario. Could you share a bit more details about it?

Here are some general tips you may find useful:

1) If you have a point cloud, you can easily rasterize it using ImageRasterizer - this way you get your separate frames.

2) We don't have some kind of a camera/viewpoint transformer yet, so you would have to transform the point cloud to get the different views - you can use Offsetter, Scaler, 3DRotator for this. This way you can create a sequence of different frames with ImageRasterizer

3) I use FFmpeg package to assemble videos from a sequence of frames - I call it from within FME with SystemCaller. Here is an example of the command line:

""C:\\Program Files\\ffmpeg\\bin\\ffmpeg.exe" -framerate 10 -i "C:\\Users\\dbagh\\smoothtransitionframes\\image_%5d.png" -y -codec:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -codec:a aac "C:\\Users\\dbagh\\video\\smoothtransition.mp4""

4) With our raster transformers, you can make smooth transitions between frames (when it makes sense) by using alpha band with RasterExpressionEvaluator and RasterMosaicker.

Dmitri