Question

Tips to speed up process when clipping very large feature

• 27 June 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi,

I am using the clipper on a dataset that contains many simple polygon features and few very large and complex features. I run the clipper in parallel processing and it seems to work correctly. However, the groups that contains the complex features take hours to complete while other groups with simple feature take few minutes. In this case there is no real performance gain with the parallel processing.

Do you have tips to speed up the whole process? Is it possible to divide the complex features in smaller part ?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

You can use both the Deaggregator and the DonutholeExtractor to try and see if it makes a difference.

Consider also the "Clippers first" option of the Clipper, more details here, it can make a big difference in certain memory-intensive scenarios.

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

DId you try setting the clipper type to clippers first? (and making sure the clippers are first by dragging the reader all the way up in the navigator)

That usually helps a lot to speed up things.

Itay
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I also think the "Clipper First" option is the general approach. As another thought, depending on the data condition, filtering out clippees which are completely inside clipper polygons before clipping through the SpatialFilter could be effective, when many clippees within clippers.

Takashi