Question

Movement of Database to Linux Machine- Impact

• 2 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

If I move my database to a windows to a linux machine is there any impact on FME users of this database other than updating database connections

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Normally there should be no other impact than having to update the database connections, but it may depend on your database and your setup. For example, if you're on Oracle and rely on tnsnames.ora, you'll probably have to update that as well.

That said, I'd strongly recommend testing it on the development environment before going into production.

Badge +9

Thanks @david_r it is oracle alright, don't have any experience with Linux myself so just curious should I be thinking of anything else in terms of impact on existing users of this database.

Sounds like with testing it should ( fingers crossed) be ok

Badge

Agree with @david_r that FME is unlikely to notice the migration, but I would be generally concerned that you will see changes with regards to the default character encoding for the database (typically UTF-8 on LInux, and something else on Windows). This change *might* be visible to some FME workflows, depending on the type of database being read from.