Question

IFC4 setting Unit and Coordinate System

• 13 October 2016
  • 3 replies

I'm Transforming georeferenced EsriShape to IFC4 the problem is that when I convert the buildings are in millimeters and when I use Scale to switch to meters the location is scale too so the position (georeference) change but the buildings in 3D are scale to Meter.

I can not find how to use FME to set the corresponding parameters in ifcSIUnit and IfcCoordinateReferenceSystem have some one use FME and IFC4 ?

3 replies

Badge +7

Since this question was asked a long time ago, you probably figured it out, but I'm just posting an answer here for other users, because I was also looking for answers.

At this moment (January 2017), there is *no way* to set the unit and/or coordinate system on IFC files.

I've noticed myself that most (if not all) CAD/BIM applications that can read IFC, assume that all units are in mm if nothing is specified, so if you make sure that all your outputs (and quantities) are scaled/recalculated to mm as well, the size of your objects should at least be okay. But the location will be lost...

Safe has already received an enhancement request (PR53546) for to add proper unit and coordinate system support for the IFC writer (this actually might have been you, @matias). I also had my name added to it.

Since this question was asked a long time ago, you probably figured it out, but I'm just posting an answer here for other users, because I was also looking for answers.

At this moment (January 2017), there is *no way* to set the unit and/or coordinate system on IFC files.

I've noticed myself that most (if not all) CAD/BIM applications that can read IFC, assume that all units are in mm if nothing is specified, so if you make sure that all your outputs (and quantities) are scaled/recalculated to mm as well, the size of your objects should at least be okay. But the location will be lost...

Safe has already received an enhancement request (PR53546) for to add proper unit and coordinate system support for the IFC writer (this actually might have been you, @matias). I also had my name added to it.
We are struggling with this as well. We use IFC a lot with FME, and having to rescale everything all the time is a pain. :(

Badge

Any update on this issue? I am also struggling with som IFC files from FME into ArchiCAD