Solved

Why do I receive log message, "No AutoCAD Template file specified"

Badge

My workbench uses an s3downloader to acquire a DWG, then uses a FeatureReader (Autocad DWG) to read in model space data, then I add a few layers to model, using a FeatureWriter (Real Autocad DWG) with original DWG as a template, and finally upload updated model to s3, using an s3uploader.

The workbench completes without any errors in the log, but my updated model does not contain any of my original layers. It only contains the newly added layers. Further, the log states the following, "No AutoCAD Template file specified". Yet, the FeatureWriter has a template file specified (I save the template file as a parameter).

Any thoughts? Thanks for your support!

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 1 September 2016, 20:56

View original

16 replies

Badge +16

possibly a bug that should be reported, did you try specifying the template file NOT as parameter?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

This does sound like a bug. Please do send in a sample and log (and input and output) to support@safe.com and they can dig in. There could be an issue using a template file in the FeatureWriter (I'd be surprised, but there could be). Also -- were you expecting all the data entities in the original file to be copied over and present in the output, or just the layer definitions? Let us know that as well and we can puzzle on it. Sounds like a scenario we'd want to work well, so looking forward to getting to the bottom of it.

Badge +6

I tested FeatureWriter(Autocad DWG) with template, I tested use parameter and not use parameter. unfortunately, two methods have been the result of what you said.

As itay and Jack said, it seems to be a FeatureWriter bug. I tested normal writer (Autocad DWG). It worked. So you can use normal writer (Autocad DWG) Rather than FeatureWriter to avoid this problem.

Badge

@itay: I tested FeatureWriter (RealDWG writer), using not parameter for template DWG, and output DWG is saved successfully. Unfortunately, this workflow does not work for me. I need to use a timestamp for each input DWG to distinguish between many different input DWG files.

@taojunabc: Unfortunately, this workflow will not work either, as I need to upload the DWG back to s3 after the file has been written. Though, perhaps I may use a shutdown script, to upload the updated DWG to s3. Not sure if that is possible.

Thanks for the support.

Badge +16

@danielc you can use a sampler and timestamp combination to add the timestamp to the features per input and use a fan out on the writer based on the timestamp information.

This way you can distinguish between the incoming input DWG

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Can you add a screenshot of your workspace? I am uncertain as to the order of operations.

For example, you say "uses an s3uploader to acquire a DWG" - so do you move a DWG file to S3? And then use the S3 path as the template? Or should that be S3Downloader? I'm just not sure what dataset is providing which data and a screenshot would help.

Badge
Can you add a screenshot of your workspace? I am uncertain as to the order of operations.

For example, you say "uses an s3uploader to acquire a DWG" - so do you move a DWG file to S3? And then use the S3 path as the template? Or should that be S3Downloader? I'm just not sure what dataset is providing which data and a screenshot would help.

@Mark2AtSafe Attached is a screenshot of the workspace.capture.png
Badge +6

@itay: I tested FeatureWriter (RealDWG writer), using not parameter for template DWG, and output DWG is saved successfully. Unfortunately, this workflow does not work for me. I need to use a timestamp for each input DWG to distinguish between many different input DWG files.

@taojunabc: Unfortunately, this workflow will not work either, as I need to upload the DWG back to s3 after the file has been written. Though, perhaps I may use a shutdown script, to upload the updated DWG to s3. Not sure if that is possible.

Thanks for the support.

As an alternative, you can use WorkspaceRunner to call the other Workspace that generated DWG, and connect WorkspaceRunner Succeeded port to FeatureReader read DWGs, the final output to S3.

Badge

This does sound like a bug. Please do send in a sample and log (and input and output) to support@safe.com and they can dig in. There could be an issue using a template file in the FeatureWriter (I'd be surprised, but there could be). Also -- were you expecting all the data entities in the original file to be copied over and present in the output, or just the layer definitions? Let us know that as well and we can puzzle on it. Sounds like a scenario we'd want to work well, so looking forward to getting to the bottom of it.

C119284 - Safe Software Support Case Created. I submitted the following log files to support@safe.com:

- log txt

- input dwg

- output dwg

Regarding your question, I am expecting all the data entities in the original file to be copied over in the output. Thanks for the continued support!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
@Mark2AtSafe Attached is a screenshot of the workspace.capture.png
Thanks. I'll let the support team help you out with this now, but will make a couple of observations:

- Where is the template file stored? Is it local or is it one of those being downloaded from S3? If it's one of the S3 files I'm wondering if that's an issue.

- In general it helps to narrow an issue down to the exact point of the problem. So I'd suggest running the workspace with Recorder transformers just before FeatureWriter2. Then create a new workspace reading back that data (an FFS reader or Player transformer) and the FeatureWriter. See if that works. It would certainly help to narrow down the issue.

Badge
Thanks. I'll let the support team help you out with this now, but will make a couple of observations:

- Where is the template file stored? Is it local or is it one of those being downloaded from S3? If it's one of the S3 files I'm wondering if that's an issue.

- In general it helps to narrow an issue down to the exact point of the problem. So I'd suggest running the workspace with Recorder transformers just before FeatureWriter2. Then create a new workspace reading back that data (an FFS reader or Player transformer) and the FeatureWriter. See if that works. It would certainly help to narrow down the issue.

The template file is the one being downloaded from s3. So, it varies each time I run the workspace.

I ran the workspace, using Recorder transformers just before the FeatureWriter2. Then created a new workspace reading back that data into the FeatureWriter. Still produced the same output DWG.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello. The issue here seems to be that the FeatureWriter is not passing the template file path to the AutoCAD RealDWG writer. In a simple case, the writer logs 'No AutoCAD Template file specified'.

This problem exists for the AutoCAD DWG (ACAD) as well. This has been reported to development and should be fixed in an FME 2017 beta shortly.

Badge

Hello. The issue here seems to be that the FeatureWriter is not passing the template file path to the AutoCAD RealDWG writer. In a simple case, the writer logs 'No AutoCAD Template file specified'.

This problem exists for the AutoCAD DWG (ACAD) as well. This has been reported to development and should be fixed in an FME 2017 beta shortly.

Great! Thanks for the update.

Badge

Hello @reganproulx. I just wanted to verify that the fix will merge into 2016 version, or only available for beta 2017. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@danielc Hello. The fix should be in build 17141, and has been approved for a port to FME 2016.1.2.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @danielc This has been fixed as of the latest 2016.1.2 release (build 16668 or newer) found here (currently under beta):

http://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/