Solved

Batch output switch

Hi,

Yet another newbie here.

I am just wondering if its possible to change writers output in some quick way (drop down list, etc).

let me explain... I have an excel spreadsheet and 13+ feature classes (ArcGIS 10.3.1) I am using FeatureMerger to join the table with every single feature class (not always basing on the same common field). So far so good, it is working fine but sometimes i need to change an storing location, eg. output1: local test area, output2: internal server (SDE), output3: external server (SDE).

How to change the output locations all at once. At the moment i have 13 writers and i don't want to change each of them every time and i don't want to create workbenches for each of the potential outputs. How to do that?

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by mygis 2 June 2017, 01:15

View original

13 replies

Badge +2

Recently saw similar where there were 19 Readers each containing a single Feature Type all reading from same SDE database.

Are you sure you have 13 Writers (in the navigator panel) or do you mean 13 Feature Types that you can see on the canvas (and in the navigator panel). Terminology and concepts can be a bit confusing in the beginning. Please post your Workspace or at least screen grab.

Parameters is the way to control output location and can be either Published (configurable at runtime) or Private fixed until the Workspace author changes it.

Badge +8

Hi @chrisladny ,

Do you have 13 output destinations? Or is it 13 feature classes in each database?

Thanks.

Lyes

Just to give you some background, nr1 it is simple table to table (with adding extra fields that will be used to join with feature classes), nr2 its just an output of 1; nr 3 is a list of features that I need to join with the table (only first one is done, rest of them(nr7) will look very similar); 4, 5, 6 these are optional outputs.

I have messed up the terminology... there is no 13 writers but 4 (will be 5). but my question will be the same, how to switch between outputs (4,5,6). At the moment im thinking about disabling all writers (4,5,6) and enabling only the one I need. I know it is simple and amateur way but I think it is going to work ( until I find some more efficient way). I have this entire model written in python, and I have a line that prompts me for picking from 3 optional outputs, and that's working really well. Is there a any similar option here in fme?

Badge +8

Just to give you some background, nr1 it is simple table to table (with adding extra fields that will be used to join with feature classes), nr2 its just an output of 1; nr 3 is a list of features that I need to join with the table (only first one is done, rest of them(nr7) will look very similar); 4, 5, 6 these are optional outputs.

I have messed up the terminology... there is no 13 writers but 4 (will be 5). but my question will be the same, how to switch between outputs (4,5,6). At the moment im thinking about disabling all writers (4,5,6) and enabling only the one I need. I know it is simple and amateur way but I think it is going to work ( until I find some more efficient way). I have this entire model written in python, and I have a line that prompts me for picking from 3 optional outputs, and that's working really well. Is there a any similar option here in fme?

Just one last question; which version of FME Desktop are you using?

Thanks.

Just one last question; which version of FME Desktop are you using?

Thanks.

version2017.0.0.0 build 17259 win64

Badge +8

Hi @chrisladny ,

Do you have 13 output destinations? Or is it 13 feature classes in each database?

Thanks.

Lyes

Hi @chrisladny

Please try running this workspace and let me know if that is what you want. I will go though the details once you confirm. Please run with the "Run with prompt" option on. You can choose which branch of the workspace you would like the process to follow.

routingtheprocess.fmw

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lyes

Hi @chrisladny

Please try running this workspace and let me know if that is what you want. I will go though the details once you confirm. Please run with the "Run with prompt" option on. You can choose which branch of the workspace you would like the process to follow.

routingtheprocess.fmw

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lyes

I have just run your work space and it looks like something I have been looking for. Many thanks for that. I don't have much time today to apply your solution to my workspace but will do that on Monday.

Badge +8

I have just run your work space and it looks like something I have been looking for. Many thanks for that. I don't have much time today to apply your solution to my workspace but will do that on Monday.

No worries, let me know if you have any questions. Have a nice weekend ahead !

Badge +2

@chrisladny I assume the schema structure is the same for both the SDE databases. If so I would have one SDE writer but use parameters to change the database connection. This means your Workspace will be easier to maintain in the future because you change in one place for SDE rather than two. You'd still need the approach suggested by Lyes to choose between the local test which I assume will be GDB and SDE.

E.g.

DEV = GDB

TEST = SDE with test connection

LIVE = SDE with live connection

hi, I am back... Could you just give me some idea how does your workbench works? how to set the ParameterFetcher and AttributeFilter up?

Badge +8

Hi, @chrisladny

Please check out this video; it shows how to process a chosen branch of a workspace using the workbench in FME Desktop.

https://youtu.be/z_doe_78iJQ

Hi @chrisladny ,

Thanks.

Lyes

That's exactly what I've been looking for.

thanks for the video, that was really useful (no sound?)

Badge +8

That's exactly what I've been looking for.

thanks for the video, that was really useful (no sound?)

Sorry for the late reply. The video was done in a very short time with a very low budget. We decided to forgo the sound ;) .