Advanced pain with reating a writer new

• 15 March 2013
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +9
  • Contributor
  • 101 replies
Hello

Today I want to get rid of some repeated pain in workbench I'm going through, by telling it here.

Thanks to steady development there are always added new options to writers. This by itself is very welcome.

Right now I need to utilize a new option in GeoTiff writer which is labelled: "Write Esri-Compatible Coordinate System" (not documented in FME 2012 SP4 btw)

What I have:

I have a workspace which is used as a writer-adapter in the FUSION Data Service application we build on top of FME. Besides other such adapters used for all kinds of different formats, this one is specialized on Raster data handling.

This writer-adapter contains 5 different writers (Tiff,GeoTiff,JPeg,JPEG2000,PNG).

All of them are set up in a way so they use the same published parameters for as many settings as possible. These parameters then are used in the calling skript.

Attribute fanout is used to control the resulting filename.

Now my pain starts:

1) I cannot utilize new writer settings without deleting the writer and creating it new

2) I have to be very careful to set all settings I used in the old writer and to make sure that all published parameters are relinked as they were linked before.

3) after I succeed to do this I end up with the next pain ...

My Parameter "DestDataset" has changed to "DestDataset_2" and how can I turn it back to "DestDataset" ????

I need to use "DestDataset" as this parameter is used in a whole lot of other writer-adapters and for the sake of a generic approach I really have to use the same "DestDataset" setting for ALL workspaces which write.

What I will do now is frickle around in a text editor, and try to tweak the DestDataset_2 back to DestDataset. ... and hope for a good ending of this hack

I can imagine better ways to spend my valuable developers time than to do things like that.

Maybe somebody at safe could think about a way to simplify Writer's upgrades ...

Thanks for reading this frustrated outburst

Michael

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Michael,

not sure I understood all of it, but it seems that you want to reset the name of your published parameters?

If that is so, you can right-click on the user parameter in the Navigator on the left and select "Edit definition..." to change it however you want.

Hope this helps.

David
Badge +9
Hi David

I tried this, but workbench does NOT let you set the parameter to whatever you want.

I a case like mine workbench thinks "DestDataset" is already used and forces "DestDataset_2" against my will.
Userlevel 4
Yes, that seems right. It is not possible to have two published parameters with the same name.

However, you can link the same user parameter to several writers (or transformers). Just right-click on the Writer parameter of choice and select "Link to user parameter..."

David
Badge +9
I don't want to create two parameters with same name.

I have a parameter DestDataset published. It is used by five writers.

I delete one writer and create it new, and without my interception by doing this "Destdataset" is no longer there and replaced by "DestDataset_2"

That is done by workbench, and I cannot set it back to "DestDataset"

BUT I NEED TO !!!
Userlevel 4
Hi Michael,

that sounds strange, I have never encountered this type of problem and I use both published and private parameters a lot.

Is there a chance that you could make (a part of) the workspace available to us for download? I'd be glad to take a look.

Or you could expand all the user parameters and post a screenshot here.

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

I also dont have a problem connecting a writer to an existing parameter, did you try erasing the parameter from the wirter before  inserting the new one?