Solved

Create common syle for ArcGIS shapefile

• 28 June 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have tons of styled MapInfo datasets need to transfer to ArcGIS format, and I hope keep these styles automatically in ArcGIS. As there are some styler transformers, such as MapInfoStyler, KMLStyler, is there any way to create common style for ArcGIS shapefile/geodatabase.

Looking forwards to hearing any suggestions.

@takashi I followed your answers to solve many questions, hope and appreciate you may have solution for this question.

icon

Best answer by david_r 28 June 2016, 10:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Opposite to MapInfo, the shapefile format does not contain any cartographic information (line colors, thickness, etc), so the answer is unfortunately no.

For the file geodatabase it is possible (in ArcGIS) to create what is called cartographic representations, which lets you store cartographic information in the feature class, but to the best of my knowledge this isn't supported by FME.

A possible solution could be to manually create layer files (.lyr files containing cartographic information) in ArcMap and deliver those with your datasets. For the end user it is pretty straight-forward to load both the data and the accompanying .lyr file into ArcMap.

Opposite to MapInfo, the shapefile format does not contain any cartographic information (line colors, thickness, etc), so the answer is unfortunately no.

For the file geodatabase it is possible (in ArcGIS) to create what is called cartographic representations, which lets you store cartographic information in the feature class, but to the best of my knowledge this isn't supported by FME.

A possible solution could be to manually create layer files (.lyr files containing cartographic information) in ArcMap and deliver those with your datasets. For the end user it is pretty straight-forward to load both the data and the accompanying .lyr file into ArcMap.

Thank you for suggestion. When you mentioned "deliver those with your datasets", could you please explain in detail?

Userlevel 4

Thank you for suggestion. When you mentioned "deliver those with your datasets", could you please explain in detail?

I meant that you can provide your users with the layer definition file (.lyr) together with the shape or file geodatabase datasets.