Question

Write to remote MySQL database through ssh

I am able to write to a local MySQL database, but I would like to write to a remote MySQL database through an ssh connection. I don't see that the Add Database Connection interface allows this. Is there a way to do this?

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @nsadowy,

I can't say I'm an expert in this topic, but I did notice some discussion in the past about it from these Q&A questions here:

Some of these are more relevant to Azure SQL Server so perhaps not quite what you're looking for, but some of the answers lead to some other resources as well. Please take a look and let me know if you have any further questions, and I'd be happy to try and find out more on it if you do!

Thanks. I found most of those articles through my own searches. I just ended up setting up a firewall rule w/ IP addresses. Not my preference. Not as secure, but functional. Disappointed that they didn't think of this when they created that writer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Thanks. I found most of those articles through my own searches. I just ended up setting up a firewall rule w/ IP addresses. Not my preference. Not as secure, but functional. Disappointed that they didn't think of this when they created that writer.

Sorry to hear that you had to find a workaround for it. It sounds like a good idea to suggest in our Ideas page if that's functionality that you'd like to see in the future? If you can share your idea with your desired use case and upvote it, it helps inform development of your interest and let's other users weigh in as well through upvotes. Glad you managed to find a workaround though for now!
Badge +1

Hi @nsadowy​ and @jovitaatsafe​ ,

In the same topic, this idea talk about ssh connexion for database : https://community.safe.com/s/bridea/a0rDm000000D9J0IAK/write-to-remote-mysql-database-through-ssh

I've added a comment to include all kind of database, not just MySQL.

You can vote for this idea if you want.