Question

KML Reader Error initialising

• 25 January 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have updated to FME 2016 and have had a few glitches.

The recent one is using a KML reader which errors when starting with the following message.

|FATAL |KML: Cannot open dataset `E:\\... data\\**\\*.kmz'

|FATAL |KML: Error initializing reader

Any ideas what the cause could be and how to fix it.

7 replies

Badge +14

I'm surprised about the error Seb but until someone at Safe chimes in with a possible reason, I'd delete the Reader and re-add it. Just like Transformers, Readers and Writers have versions and it's possible that if there has been work on the KML format for 2016, either initiated by Safe or changes at Google then the version of the format can be incremented. Though this doesn't always end with the results you're seeing. Give it a go and rerun the process.

Cheers, Dave

Badge +1

Dave,

Thanks for your response. This error comes when I add the reader to a new canvas. Not when it is in use.

I have tried adding it a few times and I get the same response. It appears, on the face of it, to be running but given the error message I am not sure it is running correctly.

Badge +14

Ok, I have build 16167 running (32bit) and I just tried this and it worked ok. I downloaded this file:

http://opendata.s3.amazonaws.com/warwickshire-county.kml

...so it was local. Then read it with a KML reader set to C:\\Users\\MyPC\\Downloads\\**\\*.kml the same as you. It read fine. Options in order of priority:

1. Check there's still a KML file at the end of your path.
  2. Check that FME on the user you are logged in as has file permissions on your E drive.
  3. Check the build you're running is not a beta.
  4. Turn it off and turn it on again. Ahem. The old IT favourite!
Badge +1

I have used the folder select and ticked for subfolders on kml and kmz.

I wondered if that had caused it.

I think I might have to reinstall FME 2016 as we are having a few glitches.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I have used the folder select and ticked for subfolders on kml and kmz.

I wondered if that had caused it.

I think I might have to reinstall FME 2016 as we are having a few glitches.

I really don't know what's happening with this, and I don't see any known issue around it. If it remains a problem - and you get any other glitches with 2016 - please do report it to the support team (either safe.com/support or via your local reseller)

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.

Badge

I am facing the same issue. I just upgraded from 2017.1 to 2019.1 and my script containing KML reader is failing now.

I tried adding the reader on a brand new workspace and it fails as well. If I specify the full path to KML file it works, but if I specify a folder with filter *.kmz it fails...

I observing the same phenomena with DWG Reader when specifying a folder.

Did you find a workaround ? Did you reinstall it or just repair ? I run the repairs and it fixed other issues but not that one

Badge

I am facing the same issue. I just upgraded from 2017.1 to 2019.1 and my script containing KML reader is failing now.

I tried adding the reader on a brand new workspace and it fails as well. If I specify the full path to KML file it works, but if I specify a folder with filter *.kmz it fails...

I observing the same phenomena with DWG Reader when specifying a folder.

Did you find a workaround ? Did you reinstall it or just repair ? I run the repairs and it fixed other issues but not that one

Update:

- If my KML folders are on C: (Windows), it works.

- If they are on a shared folder (\\\\MYSERVER\\mykmlfolders\\), it works.

- If they are located on Microsoft Distributed File System folder (\\\\mycompany.com\\dfs\\), it fails.

- If I mount the DFS folder to letter, it fails as well.