Question

Mapinfo (MAPINFO) writer forcing to v12

• 13 October 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge
I am having a problem similar to https://safecommunity.force.com/CommunityAnswers#!/feedtype=SINGLE_QUESTION_SEARCH_RESULT&id=906a0000000Ce4vAAC

When recently using FME 2014 i must have unconsciousely switched from using the Mapinfo (MITAB) writer to the new MapInfo (MAPINFO) writer. I recently discovered that files i had created would not open in version 11.5 of MapInfo, giving me a message saying that it would only open in v12. This morning I discovered that using the MITAB writer works ok. This is important as I deal with people working on versions 7 - 12.

Please can someone explain the difference. I have never known a TAB file to be fussy about what version it was created in before.

I can only find documentation on the difference between the MFAL and MITAB writers

Thanks

5 replies

Badge
Additional to this question: I have just discovered that my colleague with version 8 cannot open the file using the MITAB. What is the best way round this? I cannot find the version parameter mentioned in the linked post above
Userlevel 1
Badge +21
The MITAB writer allows you to set the TAB file version within the writer parameters, I think the default is 900 which equates to Mapinfo V9, 450 will provide the backwards compatability you need)

MAPINFO writer replaced the MFAL writer so I expect that any workbenches containing an MFAL writer now contain a MAPINFO writer which appears to default to a newer version of Mapinfo with no option to revert to an earlier version.
Userlevel 1
Badge +21
Generally mapinfo is not fussy about the versioning unless there is a date field as newer versions store as a date/time field which earlier versions cannot handle.
Badge
I couldnt at first find the parameter for changing the version as i had assumed from my reading that it had been in the creation of the writer but i have found it in the side bar thanks.

What is odd however is that the file version parameter when i create a MAPINFO writer says v 900 yet it still only opens in v12

There is no date field in the layer i was using
Badge
Actually sorry this is getting rather confusing now, every time i add either a MITAB or MAPINFO writer they both say 900 (and seem to work in v8 today too) and i cant recreate the problem I had on monday at all. Could it be to do with the input file i used or the reader?