Question

I have a failure in my workspace that happens only sometimes. How can I figure out the problem?

• 24 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

In one case, I am getting a random problem with Esri Geodatabase:

2017-03-16 12:10:36| 2.1| 0.0|ERROR |Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147155644'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.}

In another case I am having a random problem with Oracle:

2017-03-15 19:48:48| 248.5|  0.2|ERROR |Execution of statement `INSERT INTO "WELL_HELLO"."TABLE" (  "PKEY_HELLO",.....) VALUES (  :"PKEY_HELLO",.....)' did not succeed; error was `ORA-03135: connection lost contact Process ID: 12345 Session ID: 4321 Serial number: 98765'. (serverType=`ORACLE8I', serverName=`someserver', userName=`SOMEUSER', password=`***', dbname=`')

These workspaces are run on FME Server. How can I figure out the problem?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

These problems are tricky. An approach that has helped in these cases is to try and reproduce the problem with the FME Engine alone. We have a procedure for that in the following article:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/29921/job-failures-determine-if-fme-server-or-fme-engine.html

Note:

• FME Desktop should be temporarily installed on the machine where the FME Engine with the Oracle/Esri client software is installed (i.e. the location of FME Server's FME Engine).
  • Since the problem occurs randomly and not always, that means we'll have to alter the procedure (linked above) to run the workspace multiple times in a single execution.
    • Do this by adding (in the command file) the full path to the workspace multiple times (1 path per line) instead of a single line.
    • Maybe try adding it 10 times and then run. See if you're able to produce the error.
  • If you can't reproduce the problem with a simplified workspace, then switch to using one of the workspaces that is showing the problem.

If you are able to reproduce the error then you can show it to others and narrow in on the variables in the system that might cause this behavior.

Also see:

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

"Sometimes" problems are the worst to tackle. In addition to what @aaronkoning said I would recommend saving as much (source data, logs, workspace settings) as you can when you do encounter a problem so you have a testcase. And even then I come across cases where something doesn't work for a customer, but perfectly for me...

I was having the same problem until I checked the Persistent Connection option in the SQLExecutor transformer parameters.