Question

Some Excel writer worksheet/ranges not getting populated after upgrade to FME2017x64

• 29 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am migrating from FME 2014 to FME2017x64. We have been using a workbench for some time in which the output includes writing to a number of excel template worksheets having defined ranges for the writer. In each case the option to truncate the range has been set to yes. When running the same workbench in 2017x64 I am now seeing that some worksheets/ranges are getting populated while the vast majority are not . I've been looking for something that indicates why some would get populated while others would not but have not been able to determine what that might be. Has anyone else experienced problems with excel writer in FME 2017 not writing to worksheet/ranges as they had in a previous version?

4 replies

Badge
FYI, it appears that the data is actually being written into the output spreadsheet worksheets and ranges but for some reason the font color has been changed to or interpreted as white? If any of the cells in the template are not set to color = 'Automatic' than they are set to white in the output file. I tried to set the font color manually in the writer settings but that caused the output file to be corrupted. I had to actually rebuild the writer as changing the settings back to the way they were before still caused the output file to get corrupted. Not sure how I can force it to use that of the template or why it changes it at all? All conditonal formatting in the template is overwritten it seems.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @wallace,

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing. I've seen FME have trouble with some of the Microsoft 'theme' colours - this could partly be the problem. If you have a sample template file which you can share with us where you've found the issue I will pass it along to out dev team to take a look at. Sorry to hear about the trouble

Badge

Hi @wallace,

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing. I've seen FME have trouble with some of the Microsoft 'theme' colours - this could partly be the problem. If you have a sample template file which you can share with us where you've found the issue I will pass it along to out dev team to take a look at. Sorry to hear about the trouble

I'm actually seeing a mix of issues Matt. Some data is not getting written out in any case, some data gets written out but the format is such that it does not appear to be visible, while some data does get written as expected. I've tried changing the

settings from Truncate Sheet/Named Range = Yes to No and Drop Sheet/Named Range = No to Yes and get more output generated, though the formatting does not adhere to that of the template file. This seems to defy the documentation I've read on how this should work. http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/xlsx/XLSX_writer.htm and http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/xlsx/xlsx.htm. Not sure which versions these instructions apply to? I'm running the workbench on 2017.1 Build 17539. Where should I send the template file I've generated from the workbench? Its a littlr over 2MB in size.
Badge

Hi @wallace,

Where can I find the progress details for PR#59453?