Question

Cannot write to ESRI after using Aggregator (mutipart geometry)

Hi,

I am creating some admin areas which feature multiple islands within each admin areas.

I am using the Aggregator to group the areas, and that is looking fine in the Inspector.

When I come to write these features to an esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service, I receive the following error:

<type 'fmeobjects.FMEAggregate'> cannot be converted to esriGeometryPolygon

I am building Homogeneous Collections where possible, but even the admin areas that are made up of a single contiguous area have "fme_aggregate" as "the fme_geometry(string)" attribute in the inspector.

10 replies

UPDATE:

I have tried writing to a file gdb just to see if that would work and it did.

I then looked at the Portal Feature Service writer parameters and noted the geometry is set to arcgisonline_polygon.

The documentation defines an arcgisonline_polygon as:

"A single polygon, a donut polygon, or a multi-area comprised of single polygons, donuts, or both."

Which is broadly the same as the definition of a geob_polygon:

"Features with this value are features or multi-part features consisting of polygons and/or donut polygons."

So, the question is, why can FME convert the fme_aggregate into a geob_polygon, but not a arcgisonline_polygon?
Userlevel 4

If you're using the ArcGIS Online Feature Service writer, you're out of luck, it doesn't seem to support aggregate geometries, see the geometry support section:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/arcgisonlinefeatures/quick_facts_arcgisonlinefeatures.htm

Badge +8

If you're using the ArcGIS Online Feature Service writer, you're out of luck, it doesn't seem to support aggregate geometries, see the geometry support section:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/arcgisonlinefeatures/quick_facts_arcgisonlinefeatures.htm

So Safe will have to wait Esri to upgrade this into FME? We're talking about years here...

Userlevel 4
So Safe will have to wait Esri to upgrade this into FME? We're talking about years here...

Unfortunately I've no idea where the limitation lies (FME or ESRI), my suggestion would be to contact Safe support for details.

Having similar issue, is this issue on esri end?

Badge +6

Unfortunately the aggregate geometry type is still not supported.

If you'd like to see this implemented please vote on this Idea: https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000LP4uQAG/detail

Badge

Writing a bit late to this conversation, but I overcame this issue by just simply adding a SurfaceFootprintReplacer to the canvas after the Aggregator, which will change the geometry type from IFMEAggregate to IFMEMultiArea. After that, the insert goes fine, and the aggregated geometries will be MultiPolygons in the Feature Service.

Badge +13

I've had the same issue, but the above comment from @jerez made me look into reforming the aggregates. The GeometryRefiner changes the aggregate geometries to multi-geometries which seems to do the trick.

Badge

I have the same issue, and for most of my features, I am able to use the workflow.
From Collection > Deaggregator > GeometryFilter (I just want the line parts) > Aggregator > GeometryRefiner. 

However, some of the Homogeneous Aggregates are not being converted to multiline by the GeometryRefiner. So when I go to write to AGOL I still get this error. 

<class 'fmeobjects.FMEAggregate'> cannot be converted to esriGeometryPolyline.

Anyway we can get more details on what the Geometry Refiner is doing under the hood?

Badge

Update, I added a geometryCoercer after the GeometryRefiner, and that seems to be working now. 
Note, Homogeneous Aggregates are supported.