Question

Splitting Lines by Polygon Boundaries

• 24 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi, Im trying to split a large dataset of lines (~1.2m records) by an almost equally large dataset of polygon boudaries (~900k records). I have tried Line Over Area Overlay, but no luck there. I tried creating points at the intersections of the lines and polygons boundaries, and executing point on line overlay, but I came up empty there as well. Has any one run into this problem before, and what conclusion/solution did you come to?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Have you tried a clipper?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @boniagbaniyaka, Are you getting any errors when using the LineOnAreaOverlayer? I would have thought it would be the perfect transformer for the task.

The Intersector might also do the trick. However it will also split your polygons, but you could filter and reaggregate them using the Aggregator if you wish afterwards.

There's a similar on the Q&A; that might give you some ideas: Create nodes where lines intersect polygons.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Do the two datasets (lines and polygons) have an identical coordinate system?

Firstly check what coordinate system those datasets have, and whether they actually overlap, using FME Data Inspector. Do not use a GIS software which automatically project datasets according to their coordinate system..