Solved

3DAffiner example please

• 17 September 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I am trying to build some 3D planes from XYZ centre points.

I have generated the planes using sector generator coerced these as polygons then 3d Forced them @ZValue  rotated them CLOCKWISE them using ) and I am stuck trying to get the resultant planes to rotate/tilt on their Z axis about their @ZValue centre using an @Value(Dip)

can someone please provide a screenshot of a 3DAffiner example of a Z-axis affine of say 10 degrees 

AND

a 3DRotator example of a custom axis example OR z-axis example to apply a 10 degrees to each plane element?

the help file for these two transformers are for irony and i am unable to debug why nothing is tilting.

Kind Regards,

Steve

icon

Best answer by gio 17 September 2013, 15:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

have you looked at this article on FMEPedia?

You can also download the sample workspaces used in the article.

David
Badge +3
3D rotation matrix:

Y-axis:

cos ?,0,sin?

-sin ?,0,cos ?

? = your rotation

every forth parameter (D,H andL) in the affiner is a "move" If u just rotate use 0 for every forth. 

If u only want to move an object and not scale and/or rotate it:

1,0,0,@MoveX

0,1,0,@KMoveY

0,0,1,@MoveZ

U can also use some math here.

rotate and move:

cos ?,0,sin?                        1,0,0,@MoveX

0,1,0                         +         0,1,0,@KMoveY   =    new transformmatrix

-sin ?,0,cos ?                      0,0,1,@MoveZ

etc.etc.

u can look up x and y-axis rotations on Wiki (keyword: rotationmatrix) or any mathsite.

haves funs!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thank you for your replies. I have trawled wiki and FMEpedia at the 2.5D buildings example for a solution. Really I needed an application of the transformers which i could backwards engineer to my application.

This morning an ACE Safe employee, we shall call him 'Evan Angelist', helped me troubleshoot my workspace and we just wound up using a 3D rotation and then 2D rotation to accomplish what i was after.

so to apply the Dip angle to each feature about their centres used a 3DRotator.

Angle in degrees @Value(Dip)

rotate along : Custom axis

origin XYZ: pt_X, pt_Y, pt_Z

direction XYZ: pt_X, pt_Y, pt_Z

then a 2D rotator of dip_direction:

RotationAngle: )

X_origin: pt_X

Y Origin: pt_Y

(my values are cartesian 0=North and rotators are left turns in FME)

the separate steps made it easier to debug and acheived what i needed. But I will now go try your method Gio. because the 3dAffiner has higher score because of 'degree of difficulty' i reckon.

Cheers Gio and Dave,

Steve
Hey Steve,

In the first approach you took, which transformers did you use for the 3D and 2D rotations? I couldn't find anything under the name 3D/2DRotator and I am also having trouble with the 3DAffiner. I tried to rotate buildings in place (leaving the D, H, and L parameters blank), but still had a massive shift in my dataset. 

Thanks for any input!

Jon