Question

Running a workspace or translation by field based users without using FME Workbench or no access to FME Server (no internet)

• 11 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

Is this even possible? At the onset, there is a license issue involved. Is FME Plug-in SDK an option?

My use case is a drone pilot needs to create a geopackage or an fgdb from pictures/videos collected during the mission and would need to do this from his laptop onsite so that he can pass on the data to a courier or deliver the data to the utility owner. I already have a workspace created with FME Desktop but it's not cost-effective to provide a license for each pilot.

The next best option is to provide ESRI's Drone2Map to each pilot which will do it - costs $1200 subscription per named user.

If I can develop something smaller and cheaper in FME that would be better.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Set up a floating license server and borrow a license before going in to the field is the only option I can think of.

Is there a reliable mobile data signal at the site(s)? If so, an FME Cloud process could work

Userlevel 4

You will definitely need an FME license to run a workspace file. If you can make a particularly compelling business case, I've heard that Safe will sometimes offer special licensing conditions, but you'll have to discuss that directly with their sales team.

If you're somewhat fluent in Python, what you describe could also be made using only open source tools (that is, without FME), e.g.

geopackage-python : Python-based tools for creating OGC GeoPackages.

or

file-geodatabase-api-python-wrapper

Badge +5

Set up a floating license server and borrow a license before going in to the field is the only option I can think of.

Is there a reliable mobile data signal at the site(s)? If so, an FME Cloud process could work

Thanks!

This is an option when there's a signal, although cost is an issue - especially with multiple drone teams & huge amounts of data. I do have an FME Cloud instance and I have tested an FME server job for this already. I still have to address offline situation.

Badge +5

You will definitely need an FME license to run a workspace file. If you can make a particularly compelling business case, I've heard that Safe will sometimes offer special licensing conditions, but you'll have to discuss that directly with their sales team.

If you're somewhat fluent in Python, what you describe could also be made using only open source tools (that is, without FME), e.g.

geopackage-python : Python-based tools for creating OGC GeoPackages.

or

file-geodatabase-api-python-wrapper

I like your suggestions and will start with the FGDB API.

I will also try to pursue the special licensing conditions and ask our inside sales rep.

Thanks!