Question

REST token with Active Directory Securioty

• 10 January 2014
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Hello,

I have used the sample REST C# code supplied by Safe to create a simple application. The sample code provided can be located here:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/Content/REST/FMEServerRestAPIdemo.cs

We have two FME Servers here, one in a test environment, and another for production.

I have written my code against the test server, which uses standard security, using user and password managed by FME Server. Everything works fine.

However, when I use my code against the second server, which is secured by the Active Directory, I always get error 401, access denied.

Is there anyone out there that has used the REST API with Active Directory security?

Here is an example of the code I use to fetch a token:

private string GetFmeServerToken()

{

string fmeTokenUrl = this.Serveur + "/fmetoken/service/generate";

NameValueCollection parameters = new NameValueCollection();

parameters["user"] = ; "user"; // tried with and without domain name

parameters["password"] = "password";

parameters["expiration"] = "2";

parameters["timeframe"] = "minute";

byte[] reponseBytes;

using (WebClient client = new WebClient())

{

if (CustomSetting.FmeImpersonationUtilisateur)

{

client.UseDefaultCredentials = false;

client.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("user", "password", "domaine");

}

reponseBytes = client.UploadValues(fmeTokenUrl, "POST", parameters);

}

return Encoding.UTF8.GetString(reponseBytes);

}

Now, to make matters worst, I need to authenticate with a different user account that the one running my application, meaning I need to impersonate a different account.

This code should work, should it not? I tried to not provide the user/password in the named values, which gave me error 400 bad request. I tried without the impersonate code, providing error 401 access denied.

No matter what I do, or what I permutated in my code, I can not get anything to work.

Thank you

Jeff

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

sounds like it might be a configuration error on the AD side of things. have you looked in the FME Server logs?

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Also consider the fmetoken service... 

On your production environment can you access <fme url>/fmetoken? Can you log in and create a token with an AD user?
Issue resolved.

First you do not have to impersonate the user, simply feeding the credential into the post query is enough.

Jeff