Question

DWG READER- PRESENCE OF PRJ IN THE SAME DIRECTORY WITH THE SAME NAME AS DWG-PROJECTION BEING READ FROM PRJ FILE

• 24 November 2012
  • 3 replies

Badge +10
I accidentally noticed that FME automatically reads the projection system for DWG files when a PRJ file (created using ArcGIS) with the same name as the DWG file is present in the same folder.

Initially I thought that FME can now read projection system from DWG files.

But when noticed that the projection system was incorrect and further investigating the issue, found FME reading the projection system from a PRJ file which is part of SHP files created using ArcGIS with the same file name as the DWG.

This was notice is FME 2012 SP4 as well the latest BETA build of FME 2013.

Has anyone noticed this problem?

However this is not happening with DGN files for me!

Regards

SRG

3 replies

Badge +21
So you have a folder with lots of files, for instance:

Myfile.dwg

Myfile.shp

Myfile.prj

If the DWG and SHP file does not have the same coordinate system I would not store them in the same directory. If you still want them in the same directory you can override the coordinate system in FME by setting it manually in the READER-settings. I dont have many DWG-files with PRJ-files laying around, so I cant test it.
Badge +10
Prj for dwg makes dwg projection compatible with arcgis. Has nothing to do with shape file. In this regard. 
Badge +10
I checked with Safe Software support team on this and have been advised that this is by design - it allows users to easily set the coordinate system of DWG files without needing to modify the workspace.