Question

Is there a GoogleReverseGeocoder?

• 15 March 2016
  • 3 replies

I have been successfully using the GoogleGeocoder transformer (https://store.safe.com/transformers/googlegeocoder... to obtain coordinates based on addresses and intersection input for some time. (Thanks for that, by the way!) However, I am now being asked to generate intersection and address information based on X/Y's. Is there such an animal out there that already exists? Any thoughts on amount of effort to modify the GoogleGeocoder to provide that functionality?

Thanks,

Adam

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

It looks like there is an option in the Google Geocoding API that does reverse geocoding. Haven't tried this myself to be honest, but it looks like it wouldn't be too much trouble to either adapt the GoogleGeocoder or create a GoogleReverseGeocoder.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If you're providing coordinates instead of an address I think it would be quite easy to edit the GoogleGeocoder transformer. Mostly you would be taking out parts rather than adding them, and replace the address with a set of coordinates (use the CoordinateExtractor to get the x/y)

Sadly I don't have the time today to make those changes, but I estimate it as 1-2 hours work for a competent FME'er. Of course, take all estimates with a pinch of salt!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I've done a bit of it. You'll need a Google Maps API key for this to work (set through a user parameter). Right now this returns all results, up to the country level I think, so a possible addition would be to add some filtering to it (and make it into a proper custom transformer for the FME Hub, I may still do that but right now I'm also short on time)

The reverse geocoding turned out to be easy, the trickier part is drilling through the resulting JSON :)

reversegeocoding.fmw