Question

CAT Files and column definition

Badge

Hi there,

I've started to play around with the CAT (column aligned text) reader. Is there a way to specify column definition using another text or csv file instead of hardcoding it in the reader?

Any advice would be good.

Thanks,

W

8 replies

Badge +2

You can't dynamically set the column widths on the CAT reader. I think the best FME can offer is the TextLine Reader followed by the AttributeSplitter. To make that 'dynamic' you could try using a scripted parameter to set the AttributeSplitter's format string.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

You can't dynamically set the column widths on the CAT reader. I think the best FME can offer is the TextLine Reader followed by the AttributeSplitter. To make that 'dynamic' you could try using a scripted parameter to set the AttributeSplitter's format string.

Excellent @MarkAtSafe

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @generationn00b Can you please post a suggestion at https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/list.html about setting the CAT reader's schema with another file? I've seen this idea before.

Badge

Hi @generationn00b Can you please post a suggestion at https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/list.html about setting the CAT reader's schema with another file? I've seen this idea before.

Posted. See

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/71574/dynamically-set-the-column-definition-for-column-a.html?
Badge

Thanks. I ended up using Pythoncreator but might investigate using scripted params as well..
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

A possible workaround (or a hack ?) in the current version of FME is: use a FeatureReader to read a CAT file and create a published parameter linking to the schema parameter in the FeatureReader (CAT reader).

0684Q00000ArLplQAF.png

Then, you can set a schema through the published parameter with this syntax.

<field name>,<field type>,<column width>[,<field name>,<field type>,<column width>]*

e.g.

field1,Integer,5,field2,String,20,field3,String,15

See the parameters dialog of the CAT reader to learn possible field types.

Also you can run the workspace through a WorkspaceRunner within another workspace. In the case, you can set the schema through a feature attribute.

0684Q00000ArLusQAF.png

Badge

A possible workaround (or a hack ?) in the current version of FME is: use a FeatureReader to read a CAT file and create a published parameter linking to the schema parameter in the FeatureReader (CAT reader).

0684Q00000ArLplQAF.png

<field name>,<field type>,<column width>[,<field name>,<field type>,<column width>]*

e.g.

Also you can run the workspace through a WorkspaceRunner within another workspace. In the case, you can set the schema through a feature attribute.

0684Q00000ArLusQAF.png

Just tested this with FME 2018 and it works like a charm.  Thank you!!

Badge +2

0684Q00000ArLplQAF.png

e.g.

0684Q00000ArLusQAF.png

@generationn00b, @takashi, we are looking to use the same pattern to load CAT datasets.  Your post was very helpful; however, I still could not figure out how and where to "set the schema via parameters".  Do you mind providing a bit more detail or maybe a screenshot?  Thanks!