Solved

Error: "AutoCAD Writer: Shape file 'ltypeshp.shx' not found"

• 1 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge

I'm making an ETL to convert some features from an geodatabase SDE to Autocad DWG-files. It is working well, but i'm getting an error.

AutoCAD Writer: Shape file 'ltypeshp.shx' or 'ltypeshp.shx' not found when trying to resolve shape ''

It has no consequences for the output, but it is bottering me. Any idea what the problem could be. Am i missing some parameter?

icon

Best answer by gmbutler2 11 August 2022, 17:24

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @mcdorpers,

Are you using the AutoCAD writer or the AutoCAD RealDWG writer?

Badge
Hi @mcdorpers,

Are you using the AutoCAD writer or the AutoCAD RealDWG writer?

Thanks for answering @DaveAtSafe

I'm making use of the AutoCAD writer. Having no option for a RealDWG writer. Making use, unfortunately, of FME2014.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mcdorpers,

The file ltypeshp.shp/.shx contains the definitions for symbols included in some linetypes.

The AutoCAD RealDWG writer includes a copy of ltypeshp.shx, but this is not included with the other AutoCAD writer.

The RealDWG writer uses a library supplied by Autodesk, and is the recommended writer for DWG files. It is available only on Windows versions of FME, and only for 64 bit in FME 2017 and higher, so we keep the other AutoCAD writer for workspaces that need to work in all versions of FME.

However, the message is only a warning, and should not affect the writer output.

Badge

Hi @mcdorpers,

The file ltypeshp.shp/.shx contains the definitions for symbols included in some linetypes.

The AutoCAD RealDWG writer includes a copy of ltypeshp.shx, but this is not included with the other AutoCAD writer.

The RealDWG writer uses a library supplied by Autodesk, and is the recommended writer for DWG files. It is available only on Windows versions of FME, and only for 64 bit in FME 2017 and higher, so we keep the other AutoCAD writer for workspaces that need to work in all versions of FME.

However, the message is only a warning, and should not affect the writer output.

Thank you for the clear answer, hopefully we will update to fme2017 soon. I understand there is no possibility to like copy the ltypeshp.shx file to a networklocation so FME can pick it up? I'm getting around 600 warnings now.

The output is ok, so there is no further problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Thank you for the clear answer, hopefully we will update to fme2017 soon. I understand there is no possibility to like copy the ltypeshp.shx file to a networklocation so FME can pick it up? I'm getting around 600 warnings now.

The output is ok, so there is no further problem.

Hi @mcdorpers,

Sorry, I was unclear in my answer - The RealDWG writer is available in FME 2014, in both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows versions. In FME 2017, it is 64 bit only. Switching to the RealDWG writer should remove the warnings, and will also remove the warning that AutoCAD users get when they first open the DWG file about it being created by a non-Autodesk application.

Badge +7

I am running FME Desktop 2020 and I am using the RealDWG AutoCAD Writer. One of the parameters in the writer (not sure if it was in previous versions) is AutoCAD Shape File Folder.

You can reference the system folder where the file is located (The file is provided with your copy of AutoCAD on your system) or you can copy it from your local machine to a network folder somewhere and reference that folder.

The ltypeshp.shx file is provided by Autodesk with your version of AutoCAD at the following location on your system.

C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD 20xx\\UserDataCache\\Support

Look for ltypeshp.shx. If you still cannot find it, go to your C drive, select program files, and go into the Autodesk folder. From there use the search function to look in the folder for .shx. When it comes up with the list, find the file, select it, right-click, and choose "Open Folder Location". You can then copy that file from its location to wherever you need it to go.

I spent a lot of time looking this up and found pieces of it in a couple different forum posts and ultimately this completely got rid of the warning.