Question

Read/write to same GDB

• 26 February 2014
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm having trouble reading from, and writing to, the same ESRI gdb. I'm just doing a simple transformation and have tried on a few different gdb's but get the same problem - it just hangs part way through the process. I'm assuming it is possible to read and write to the same gdb. I've made sure all ESRI products are closed to prevent any locking, but to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Toby

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

it should be doable, but i can depend on a few factors. What type of gdb is it, a File Geodatabase? If so, which Reader and Writer are you using, the one based on ArcObjects or the API version?

What does the last lines of the FME log say?

DAvid
Hi David,

I've tried a couple of different reader/writer combos but the operation I'm trying to do is a simple CenterPointReplacer, so polygon input, point output. I'm using a FileGDB with the API reader/writer. The final few lines of the log are:

FME API version of module 'FILEGDB' matches current internal version (3.7 20131121)

Emptying factory pipeline

Unexpected Input Remover(TestFactory): Tested 861 input feature(s) -- 861 feature(s) passed and 0 feature(s) failed

Unexpected Input Remover Nuker(TeeFactory): Cloned 0 input feature(s) into 0 output feature(s)

Source -> Generic(TeeFactory): Cloned 861 input feature(s) into 861 output feature(s)

bathymetric_contours Feature Counter -1 3(TeeFactory): Cloned 861 input feature(s) into 861 output feature(s)

bathymetric_contours -> NewFeatureType Correlator(TeeFactory): Cloned 861 input feature(s) into 861 output feature(s)

Final Output Feature Type Router(TestFactory): Tested 861 input feature(s) -- 861 feature(s) passed and 0 feature(s) failed

Final Output Nuker(TeeFactory): Cloned 0 input feature(s) into 0 output feature(s)

Thank you.

Toby
Userlevel 4
Hi,

as long as you're not writing to the same feature class you're reading, it should work without a problem.

I recommend that you check with ArcCatalog if the output feature class already exists, if so try to delete it from ArcCatalog before re-running the workspace. Also try re-creating the file geodatabase using ArcCatalog, if possible.

David