Solved

Exceptionally long writing time for textured multipatch to ESRI File GeoDB

• 29 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +9
  • Contributor
  • 101 replies

Hello

I took CityGML LOD2 RoofSurfaces (~1700) and textured them with an Orthofoto.

If I write this to a 3D PDF or glTF it takes 1min and produces output of 50Mb in PDF and 15Mb in glTF

If I write the same data to an ESRI File GeoDB it takes 5h+ and produces a File GeoDB with ~6Gb size .

What is going on here ? Do I need to specially treat the surfaces before writing them to the File GeoDB ?

icon

Best answer by mhab 12 February 2018, 16:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mhab,

It is a quirk of Geodatabase that it stores individual texture images for each multipatch geometry. So each roof surface is storing a copy of the entire orthophoto.

For most 3D formats we would recommend keeping the large orthophoto image and using it to texture all the roofs, but for GDB it's better to clip out a separate image for each roof and use that to texture the surface.

Badge +9

Thanks for the explanation.

Clipping each texture brought down the writing time to 2min and the FileGDB size to 15Mb.

New problem is, that writing this to ffs results in 1700+ files *.frs

So I have to switch my workflow to ffs-Zipped writing, which works well for ffs+frs.

Amazing integration of ZIP handling.

Thanks for the explanation.

Clipping each texture brought down the writing time to 2min and the FileGDB size to 15Mb.

New problem is, that writing this to ffs results in 1700+ files *.frs

So I have to switch my workflow to ffs-Zipped writing, which works well for ffs+frs.

Amazing integration of ZIP handling.

Hi. I'm also facing this problem now. May I know how to clip out a separate image for each roof and wall? And how to rewrite the CityGML file? Now all the texture is written in a big image. Thanks a lot.

Badge +9

Hi. I'm also facing this problem now. May I know how to clip out a separate image for each roof and wall? And how to rewrite the CityGML file? Now all the texture is written in a big image. Thanks a lot.

Use a SurfaceFootprintReplacer on the 3D feature + Clipper

can we know more on how to clip an existing texture atlas containing many faces from CityGML to new CityGML file