Solved

Reading Microstation native fonts

• 1 December 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am encountering issues when reading text from a DGN where the text is in Microstation native fonts (e.g. igds_font = 0). I am generating PDF files from the DGN's and I need the text to look the same in the PDF as it does in Microstation. Currently, I am seeing variations in text font, as well as special character inconsistencies (e.g. degree symbols are read as ^ ). Is there a way to read Microstation fonts in FME? I have access to the font library .rsc files - can I utilize them somehow within FME?

Thank you!

Courtney

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 1 December 2016, 18:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

This page explains how to create truetype fonts from the RSC fonts - if you have Microstation installed:

http://communities.bentley.com/communities/other_communities/askinga/w/askinga/converting-microstation-rsc-fonts-to-ttf-fonts

Once you have these fonts installed into Windows, FME can use them when creating the PDF file.

Badge

This page explains how to create truetype fonts from the RSC fonts - if you have Microstation installed:

http://communities.bentley.com/communities/other_communities/askinga/w/askinga/converting-microstation-rsc-fonts-to-ttf-fonts

Once you have these fonts installed into Windows, FME can use them when creating the PDF file.

Thank you! I do not have Microstation installed, but I will see if my client can convert to TTF for me.

Badge

@DaveAtSafe , I converted the RSC font to TTF, and installed the TTF file on the machine that is running FME. I also directed the PDF writer to the correct True Types Font directory and set pdf_text_font. Unfortunately, I do not see any change. I now have access to Microstation, so I viewed one of the DGN files in Microstation - the text string is that same as igds_text_string in FME (e.g. OA/FOA 65^ c), but it is displayed differently (e.g. OA/FOA 65° c). Please see the following screenshots.

I am getting an "Unsupported font family" warning in the FME log:

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The Data Inspector shows only the text string - it does not apply the font or justification in its display. You will need to go all the way to PDF to see the final result.

Badge

The Data Inspector shows only the text string - it does not apply the font or justification in its display. You will need to go all the way to PDF to see the final result.

There was no change in the PDF either.

Badge +8

Hi @daveatsafe​ 

This is an oldie but I am actually interested in using ttf files for generating symbols in my pdf but I don't see how?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Felipe Verdú

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @felipeverdu​,

You can use the method linked above to convert your Microstation RSC fonts to TTF, then use that TTF in the TextStroker transformer to convert text into polygons for output to PDF.