Question

Extracting Geospatial Data from Oracle 12c where Attribution and Geometry are in separate feature classes

• 21 November 2017
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

We have a schema within Oracle 12c that stores its attributes and geometry in separate .

"

Electric Central Europe is based on the Utility data model which stores geometry and attribute data separately. The EL_POINT and EL_LINE feature classes represent the points and lines that make up the electric network. EL_POINT features are electrical features such as breakers, switches, transformers and other electrical devices. EL_LINE features are the linestring geometries that represents conductors"

how can this be extracted from oracle using FME to export into for example shapefile for cables with attribution and geometry in the same line ?

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Without knowing the details of your schema, I suspect you'll want two readers: one of the geometries and one for the attributes. You can then use the FeatureMerger to merge each geometry with its associated attributes before writing it to a shape file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I would have a look at the SQLCreator transformer.

That allows you to do a join in the database (joining the attribute and geometry tables) and use the SQL statement as the source for your workflow.

Userlevel 4

I would have a look at the SQLCreator transformer.

That allows you to do a join in the database (joining the attribute and geometry tables) and use the SQL statement as the source for your workflow.

I agree. A tad more complicated (unless you're already up to speed in SQL), but a whole lot faster for larger datasets.
Badge +3

if its in same schema, there must be a PK/FK. Some id must be present.

Use that in a sql creator/executor to select the objects. Select the attributes u require, including geometry column.

This prevent the need for using 2 readers on same db-schema.

Probably want to extract the coordinate s of the point objects as the sql creator or executor can only output 1 geometry. (so store smallest type, which is poinst into attributes x,y)