Question

autocad .dwg to collada .dae format

• 15 December 2017
  • 1 reply

I need help to convert autocad .dwg files to collada format .dae files along with textures embedded. If anybody has done this, could you kindly throw some light on what options precisely I should use, and also will it be using mere translation between the formats or with intermediate transformers ?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @yogisheshwaramu,

Thanks for posting your question here.

If all the information is in your CAD file then I would certainly recommend starting by simply testing what FME will do with no transformers.

From the Start page of FME Workbench select the 'Generate' option and then add your formats files and select 'Dynamic Schema' in the Workflow options (See screen shot).

You can run the resulting workspace and can compare the start data to your output model. If the workspace fails the Log File should give you some clues.

For more general tips on working with FME you can take a tour here or watch our training videos here.

Here's a great webinar on working with 3D which might give you some good tips. Here is a good tutorial for getting started with 3D in FME. Another source for tips on working with 3D is here.

For reading CAD files this tutorial should be a good guide for tips. Here is a more general list of 3D (and BIM) Articles which might be handy to browse through.

While most of these aren't specific to COLLADA a lot of the principles and methods are the same. If you run into trouble writing out your data then check out the COLLADA writers documentation.