Question

ORA-00936 Error

• 11 March 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Participant
  • 126 replies
I have an Oracle Spatial database that is composed of tables created by FME Workbench. Although I can see these tables in Data Inspector and QGIS, when I try to add them to the map in ArcGIS 10.2 I get "Could not add the specified data object to the map. Underlying DBMS error[ORA-00936: missing expression]".

I have added a spatial index to these tables and manually added a primary key and non-spatial index.My user account has full permissions on these tables.

I am able to see tables in our other Oracle Spatial databases when I add them to ArcMap 10.2, and their properties look the same as the tables that FME has created. These other spatial tables were probably created with AutoCad tools, not FME. I am wondering if I am missing something in the FME process for creating Oracle Spatial tables? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

which FME writer did you use to create these tables?

David
Badge +1
I am using the Oracle Spatial Object writer. However, I don't think the problem is the writer, as I used the same writer to write to another Oracle Spatial database, and this time I can add them successfully to ArcGIS. So it is not an FME problem.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
ORA-00936 usually means a malformed SQL statement (syntax error, basically).

Can you use the Oracle tools to intercept and inspect the SQL generated by ArcGIS? If you visualize the data using ArcMap, check that you haven't got a definition query (WHERE-clause).

Do you get the same error using ArcCatalog?

David