Question

Writing a combination fanout to ArcGIS Portal Feature Service

I'm trying to write a dataset and featuretype fanout to ArcGIS Portal. The desired behaviour is:

Each feature service is determined by Attribute Column X (dataset fanout)

A layer in each feature service is determined by Attribute Column Y (feature type fanout)

I have performed a few fanouts before on different writers and they seem to work, but I can't get Portal Feature Services to successfully produce a fanout.

My workflow is similar to the fanout template here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/565/fanout-1.html (see Combination fanouts)

A feature type fanout is successful, but a dataset fanout using this workflow generates the following error:

https:\\portal.bluedot.global\\arcgis\\AttributeValue1' does not appear to be a valid domain

I have also tried specifying the feature service parameters:

firstname.lastname/@Value(attribute_values) with the following error:

The error code from the server was '400' and the message was: 'Item does not exist or is inaccessible.'. Details: ''

I suspect the issue must be somewhere in my configuration but I'm not sure where exactly, and how to configure it in order to produce the desired results.

4 replies

Badge +6
Hi @sonya_k

Would you mind attaching your current workspace, so I could take a look at the workflow and the current settings you have assigned to the writer.
Hi @sonya_k

Would you mind attaching your current workspace, so I could take a look at the workflow and the current settings you have assigned to the writer.

@trentatsafe I'm attaching the following screenshots of my fanout configs as well as my current work space.

Much thanks!

publishdiseaseoccurrencemapstoportal-master.fmw

dataset-fanout.pngfeaturetype-fanout.png
Badge +6

Hi @sonya_k

I talked with development, and it seems that fanouts should not be supported by any writer that uses a URL. The reason for this being that we cannot create the URL that we would be attempting to write to, as it wouldn't have been created yet.

This makes sense when looking at the error message you received, as the writer converted the URL dataset to a local path(which is what the fan out is meant to work with).

I have filed a PR to remove the dataset fanout option from this format.

I apologize for this.

Hi @sonya_k

I talked with development, and it seems that fanouts should not be supported by any writer that uses a URL. The reason for this being that we cannot create the URL that we would be attempting to write to, as it wouldn't have been created yet.

This makes sense when looking at the error message you received, as the writer converted the URL dataset to a local path(which is what the fan out is meant to work with).

I have filed a PR to remove the dataset fanout option from this format.

I apologize for this.
Makes sense. The current workaround in that case would be to use the AttributeFilter or TestFilter, with each output port connected to a new ArcGIS Portal FeatureService writer.

FeatureType fanout is still supported on this writer though, and creates a new layer within each feature service. A bit more labourious but not a huge loss!

Thanks for the help!